Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
'Fantastic Beasts' shouldn't be the title in the first place. Maybe a one-off but nothing more. I didn't expect a new series of movies with Dumbledore or Grindelwald as the main character, but from what we know from the first books/films, Newt didn't pay a huge part in that conflict. Now all of the sudden he's front and center?

Rowling clearly didn't plan for this to be a multi-movie deal. I fear that the name and the viewing angle of these movies can very easily ruin what could have been some really dark and interesting stuff.

He's a teacher who wrote a textboox that happens to be referenced a lot in the original books. The fans always wanted the real book to be written, Rowling should have just stuck to that instead of five movie scripts out of what's basically the tiniest piece of source material.

Nomis wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 6:17 pm
I hope they'll really flesh out the Dumbledore/Grindelwald dynamic well in this franchise. film spoilers:
I expected that in this film already but I heard they won't even share a single scene.
That's canon with the books because Dumbledore admits that he avoided Grindelwald for long time.

^allright, I haven't read the books in a long long time. I think I only reread Half Blood Prince btw.
Anyway, so it does make sense Dumbledore and Grindelwald are not sharing any scenes this film but I hope they do work towards that. Besides, doesn't Dumbledore defeat him in the greatest duel ever? That will be in the fifth film which means some eight to ten years from now LOL this franchise is going to be around for quite a while

The Greatest Duel Ever took place in 1945. Does that year ring any bell to you?

fuck

Sanchez wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 6:34 pm
'Fantastic Beasts' shouldn't be the title in the first place. Maybe a one-off but nothing more. I didn't expect a new series of movies with Dumbledore or Grindelwald as the main character, but from what we know from the first books/films, Newt didn't pay a huge part in that conflict. Now all of the sudden he's front and center?

Rowling clearly didn't plan for this to be a multi-movie deal. I fear that the name and the viewing angle of these movies can very easily ruin what could have been some really dark and interesting stuff.

He's a teacher who wrote a textboox that happens to be referenced a lot in the original books. The fans always wanted the real book to be written, Rowling should have just stuck to that instead of five movie scripts out of what's basically the tiniest piece of source material.
In defense of her, I think this was announced as a trilogy (before it became a 5-part franchise). Whether she had plans for the 5 films in mind in the first place or not is beyond our knowledge, but I think HP has always exposed her flaws as a world-builder/planner.

anarchy wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 11:03 am
In defense of her, I think this was announced as a trilogy (before it became a 5-part franchise). Whether she had plans for the 5 films in mind in the first place or not is beyond our knowledge, but I think HP has always exposed her flaws as a world-builder/planner.
How so though, IIRC the Harry Potter films stayed in England. And the magic world felt pretty lived in, there were plenty of teases to the magic world outside of England.

It's pretty nice that the first Fantastic Beasts was US based and this one will be England and France. I hope the next one takes place in an Asian country.

Nomis wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 6:04 pm
looks straight outta bioshock infinite

Nomis wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 11:20 am
anarchy wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 11:03 am
How so though, IIRC the Harry Potter films stayed in England. And the magic world felt pretty lived in, there were plenty of teases to the magic world outside of England.

It's pretty nice that the first Fantastic Beasts was US based and this one will be England and France. I hope the next one takes place in an Asian country.
So much of the HP world was clearly unplanned and there are many things that don't make sense in the wizarding community, such as the currency, the population/demographics, and the school system, but I think many people considered these things trivial as they didn't affect her storytelling that much. But now that she's vastly expanding her world I think these things are going to matter more. And honestly I think she's making it worse as the FB world (pre-HP) seems much more advanced and developed than the HP world.