10th anniversary IMAX re-release

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/dark ... 1202875906
Warner Bros. Pictures has set Christopher Nolan’s 2008 superhero sequel “The Dark Knight” for a re-release in four select Imax theaters to celebrate the film’s 10th anniversary, Variety has learned.

Venues in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Toronto will host the film for a limited one-week engagement beginning Friday, Aug. 24.

Nolan and Oscar-winning cinematographer Wally Pfister pioneered the use of Imax 70mm photography in feature filmmaking on the production, marking “The Dark Knight” as the first major feature to utilize Imax cameras. Nolan had previously tested the possibilities of the format’s massive scale and increased resolution with an Imax digital remastering of “Batman Begins.”

In the years since, movies such as “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen,” “Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol,” “Star Trek Into Darkness” and “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” have followed suit, not to mention Nolan’s own “The Dark Knight Rises,” “Interstellar” and “Dunkirk.” Damien Chazelle’s “First Man” and Patty Jenkins’ “Wonder Woman 1984” are among upcoming releases continuing in their wake.

Tickets for opening day of the “Dark Knight” Imax re-release go on sale this Friday, July 20 for the following venues:

AMC Universal Citywalk IMAX, Universal City
AMC Lincoln Square IMAX, New York
AMC Metreon IMAX, San Francisco
Ontario Place Cinesphere IMAX, Toronto

For those wondering why only 4: (no doubt) Nolan wanting the re-release in IMAX 70mm only. These 4 locations are the only ones that still maintain their 70mm projectors alongside the laser ones and can easily slot them in for stuff like this. Most 'real IMAXes' in North America have fully binned them for laser.

Fuck, how many times did we say on the podcast we'd pay stupid amounts of money to see this again in IMAX. Time to put my money where my mouth is. Damnit.

I'm hoping the BFI here in London also joins in the celebration, I know they (and the IMAX at the Science Museum) still have all the TDK trilogy prints. They've done a few all-night shows of the trilogy in the past which I have missed....

Fuck I wish I could see this in IMAX again :cry:

I'm keeping my eye on tickets when they go on sale Friday morning for AMC Citywalk. This is exciting stuff :D

I never got to see this one in IMAX. I tried to see it in the first re-release in like January of 2009 or whenever that was, but it turns out it was a LieMAX theater.

Since then I have made sure to see every Nolan release at the SF Metreon in 70mm IMAX. I'm heavily considering getting tickets for this one as well. I just can't pass that up! I'll recite every line of the film as it's said. :lol:

There weren't too many IMAX shots in this one though. I just want to see him soar over Hong Kong and watch that truck flip.

Got my ticket for Monday the 27th.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
July 21st, 2018, 3:11 pm
Got my ticket for Monday the 27th.
I'll be out there for this as well. Going over the weekend. Haven't been to that theater since Interstellar!

i was working when the tickets went on sale i guess, and when i checked all the showtimes were pretty much sold out except for the first and second row :/

is it possible they'll add more?

(my fall semester is gonna be in L.A. and i'm getting there like the day before this opens lol)