Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Just sayin.

m4st4 wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 11:48 pm

Just sayin.
One of the best and most fluent directed/edited sequences ever made. Every time I see it I get chills. I hate when people think this franchise is automatically garbage just because it has sequels and will not watch a scene like this because of their mindset. How could any filmmaker or movie fan say this is not godly?

Rodrigo Perez @YrOnlyHope
Mission Impossible is Fury Road and the Dark Knight if you strip them of all their texture, intelligence and thoughtfulness to worldbuilding and weighty themes (less so Fury Road) and just make a crazy action movie (the thrills of which are fun as hell, but CMON, hyperbolic ppl!)

The movie is empty in comparison,these are superficial resemblance. Even Fury Road which is lighter in theme has layers of worldbuilding texture worked ingeniously into the action & strong ideas of power, sublimation, feminism and even the fight to find humanity in a savage world

I’m not necessarily saying there’s anything wrong with that— you can and should enjoy mi6— but, sheesh with the comparisons.

Both those films will be looked back upon as classics (they already are), mi6 will never close to being remembered like that.

^ Good points. Hyperboles galore during the first tweet rush are always like that.

Bought five tickets for Sunday, July 29th, cannot wait! Have no doubt this is even better than RN, we'll see if it can surpass the true goat - Ghost Protocol.

xWhereAmI? wrote:
July 13th, 2018, 12:16 am
m4st4 wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 11:48 pm

Just sayin.
One of the best and most fluent directed/edited sequences ever made. Every time I see it I get chills. I hate when people think this franchise is automatically garbage just because it has sequels and will not watch a scene like this because of their mindset. How could any filmmaker or movie fan say this is not godly?
in that case if you haven't done a deep dive into De Palma, I can promise you he is very much your shit

-Vader

...and by extension there is of course a lot of The Man Who Knew Too Much in the opera sequence

Arguably The Godfather Part III as well and perhaps a hint of Bogdanovich's Targets

Likewise the last sequence has pre-60s Carol Reed in its veins

These are good things. I'd argue that Bird was more De Palma-esque. The dual faux-exchange in particular which is for my money the best bit of the franchise.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
July 13th, 2018, 1:41 am
...and by extension there is of course a lot of The Man Who Knew Too Much in the opera sequence

Arguably The Godfather Part III as well and perhaps a hint of Bogdanovich's Targets

Likewise the last sequence has pre-60s Carol Reed in its veins

These are good things. I'd argue that Bird was more De Palma-esque. The dual faux-exchange in particular which is for my money the best bit of the franchise.
That's interesting, since while you're right on the money with the dual exchange bits, I think a lot of M:I5 conforms more to the sardonic heightened sexed-up-and-deadly tone of De Palma whereas Bird often embraces a purely comic looney toons vibe.

obv De Palma started this all anyhow, so it's good fun to see how later filmmakers make reference not of De Palma's M:I but rather his more prolific stuff earlier on.

-Vader

I think that's fair, maybe it's more about rhythm since it's De Palmas editor

A mate of mine compared GP to Sanjuro which is on point imo but like De Palma Bird is really good at building the set pieces. McQuarrie is more interested in character and broader story context. Different sides of the same coin perhaps, but in a separate world from Abrams Tony Scott-patina'd, ruthless installment which might owe more to the likes of John Frankenheimer.

Either way it's a really interesting set of films and telling that during it's ascendancy the Broccolis have seen merit in giving their directors more leeway

gonna try and Ethan Hunt my way into an out-of-town mall 'public' screening tonight lol

also fuck random ticket ballots
at least Skyscraper is showing at another screen if this doesn't work out

I think they should do a fundraiser where the proceeds go towards destroying every copy of Mission Impossible 2 and erasing it from everyone’s memory.