Hereditary (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
April 17th, 2018, 10:53 am
i’ll probably never watch this
if I care about my emotional well being, that is
which i don't so

Ace wrote:
April 17th, 2018, 9:12 am
tight avy

This movie looks terrifying. I am excited

This film's getting tons of positive reviews. Maybe instead of spending our money on big tentpole releases we could spend more money on original stuff like this?

Batfan175 wrote:
June 2nd, 2018, 3:41 am
This film's getting tons of positive reviews. Maybe instead of spending our money on big tentpole releases we could spend more money on original stuff like this?
I love tentpole blockbusters. I also love arthouse films. However, I paid money to see Killing of a Sacred Deer, mother!, Una and Colossal (just to name a few) and I did not like them at all. I could say the silver lining in it would be that I'm supporting original content, but why should I have to pay for something I did not enjoy?

BlairCo wrote:
June 2nd, 2018, 4:10 am
Batfan175 wrote:
I love tentpole blockbusters. I also love arthouse films. However, I paid money to see Killing of a Sacred Deer, mother!, Una and Colossal (just to name a few) and I did not like them at all. I could say the silver lining in it would be that I'm supporting original content, but why should I have to pay for something I did not enjoy?
I liked Colossal. As you said, the upside to this is that by deciding to venture into the unknown you helped support original content. Maybe that also means that you will more often come across original content that is to your liking. When I make a choice as to what films to watch at the cinema, I'll acknowledge that I like to watch big blockbusters as well but I tend to think that the truly interesting and novel ideas are not being expressed there but maybe that's just me.

For me, unless it is based on word of mouth, I need the familiarity factor to motivate me to pay money to see a smaller movie. I would never had watched The Florida Project (a movie I did end up really liking) if it did not have Willem Dafoe in it. I would never watched Una if it did not have my girl Rooney Mara in it.

If you go back to Reservoir Dogs, that movie might have never been made if it did not have the backing of Harvey Keitel, and now Tarantino is a household name. I believe that the big talent that we already know and trust needs to endorse smaller talent that is unknown as a way of shepherding a new generation of art. It's literally the basis on how Robert Redford founded the Sundance Film Festival.

I'm actually seeing Hereditary on Tuesday, and while I'm not a big Horror guy, I'm looking forward to it because based on the past couple of years, indie Horror flicks have really impressed me. If this movie is in line with movies like The Witch or Don't Breathe or Get Out, then I will not regret seeing it.

Batfan175 wrote:
Maybe we’re already doing that and we’re still in minority and general public is going to general public, it’s best to switch things up throughout the year and do whatever you feel is right at the time? Just think about it.

Batfan175 wrote:
Please don’t generalize everybody like that. I’ll pay for an MCU movie just as I paid for movies like mother!, phantom thread or would’ve paid for the killing of a sacred deer and isle of dogs had they come to my local movie theaters in time.

I’ll actually watch Hereditary on day 1, it’s just that it’s another ~three weeks away from June 8 for me, which sucks as I’ve already managed to spoil a few things for myself. I was actually just about to bump this thread myself today, cuz the reactions to this movie are insane. I was already intrigued by it (and that one sundance review which compared this to a greek tragedy in horror form), but everytime I read something movies related, somebody’s talking about this film and I truly haven’t heard a bad thing about it. So I’ve kind of just given into the hype myself at this point. Everything I’ve heard about it makes me even more excited, which is huge coming from someone who’s not really that big of a horror fan. Even the spoilery tidbits seem batshit insane if it’s really true then I’m soooo here for it lol.

But IS2G I need to stay off reddit at this point lol