Suspiria (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

i wrote this off when I first heard about it because 1) I had issues with A Bigger Splash and 2) the original occupies a special place in my heart, but since I saw Call Me By Your Name, I've warmed up to the idea of a remake.

Let's just hope Guadagnino's Suspiria is more The Thing/The Departed, and less Psycho/Clash of the Titans.

m4st4 wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 9:03 am
Nomis wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 8:14 am
Honestly, I'm having a tough time getting through the original. The acting... It's quite... bad. Is it worth sitting through?
It's a bad movie. Dario Argento never made it past the giallo form he was always best known for. Sure, Goblin soundtrack is inventive and unforgettable and the visuals are definitely something that helps elevate Suspiria as a whole, but the script, deliveries and even directing are just not working. It's a B horror movie, of course, and a cult horror movie as well, but nowhere near the cult classic B horrors. If one movie needs a remake, it's this one.
Okay I thought the majority of the people actually thought it was a good film. I was quite surprised by the good ratings it has when I saw the first 15 minutes of the film lol

It's nice to hear that a remake feels justified. Guadagnino is one of the better directors working today. Guess I'll sit through the original just to compare it to Guadagnino's version.

I love the original Suspiria, as I'm sure I've mentioned before. I watch it at least once a year. I saw it with an audience in cinemas for the first time last year and had a blast. It's a classic "Giallo" film. I am a sucker for Gothic Thrillers. I also love Argento's other works especially Phenomena, featuring a young Jennifer Connelly, who plays one of Argento's strongest protagonists, in my opinion.

Suspiria is what it is. I get that some people may not see the appeal. And sure it's elevated by the music and the visuals. But so is every film. Films are works of art. Many parts make the whole. Take one piece out of any artwork and it will be lesser. Arguably some works could be made better by subtracting elements. But my point is all the parts matter in the final work. And damnit, Suspiria looks and sounds amazing. Beautiful sets and color palette complimented by a haunting score.

I'm not going to defend it as a great movie but many people do adore it. Guillermo Del Toro is a huge fan and so is Luca Guadagnino who is doing the remake as HOMAGE to Dario Argento!!

As far as this remake goes, I'm stoked! And whether it's good or bad I am confident this film will also be elevated by Thom Yorke's score. Because I do think he is one the few people that could match Goblin's work on the original and I am fully confident in his ability. I don't expect the film to be as beautiful as the original. But I don't doubt it will probably be a better story and narrative.

Nomis wrote:
April 4th, 2018, 6:55 am
Okay I thought the majority of the people actually thought it was a good film
They do.

it's great

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
April 5th, 2018, 12:20 am
it's great
It's a masterpiece. All the hate on it here is totally bizarre.

-Vader

so confusing

k i'll watch it soon lol

The 1977 version is a tonal mess. Yes, the colours are bright and beautiful. Yes, the score is pure 70's synth rock. But it blows its load within the first 15 minutes. After that genuinely disturbing opening act, every single plot revelation that follows is not surprising at all. If anything, Nicolas Roeg did a better version in 1990. I'm more excited to see how Guadagnino injects his style into this type of story.