2017-2018 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
DREAMER wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 3:35 pm
Re-watching The Shape Of Water one thing was apparent.Why on earth was Octavia Spencer Oscar nominated for a supporting role ?
The Oscars love her even though she plays the same role in every movie. I do think she is a good actress but I would like to her do something else besides a side show comedic supporting actress.

She wasn't comedic in Hidden Figures.

While I still have some issues with GET OUT, but let me just say what I truly feel about it. It's bold and original. And, while I did say in the past, it didn't deserve the nomination, I take it back, because when films such as Three Billdboards and Shape of Water got the nod and even one of them won best picture, why left GET OUT behind from getting a nomination. And since their intention was never to give Phantom Thread and Dunkirk, they could've passed on the gold to GET OUT, which is still a far more compelling of a film than The Shape of Water.

The highlights for me were;
- Seeing del Toro winning Best Director and Best Picture. I’m stoked to watch The Shape of Water whenever that happens.
- Dunkirk winning its three Oscars. Lee Smith is one frigging tall fella, lol. It was cool to see Mathew McConaughey excited for Lee Smith and pointing at Nolan when he was walking off stage.
- The history of film montage was well put together.
- Blade Runner 2049 two wins were cool too, I didn’t expect it to leave with anything.
- Deakins and Oldman finally getting their well earned trophies after remarkable careers.
- Jordan Peele winning Original screenplay. Apparently he’s the first Black screenwriter to win in that category. That’s just sad and long overdue. It was also the first win for a horror film.
- Tiffany Haddish and Maya Rudolph were hilarious. Can these ladies host next year instead of Jimmy Kimmel.

BlairCo wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 7:16 pm
Yeah she was.

bootsy wrote:
March 6th, 2018, 1:40 am
BlairCo wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 7:16 pm
Yeah she was.
There's a difference between sassy and comedic.

Master Virgo wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 3:16 pm
Originality? The guy is just recycling himself at this rate.

I'll remain a loyal fan even after this and Crimson Peak which I really disliked. But it's really upsetting to see the director of Pan's Labyrinth (which I worship at the temple of, day and night) in this shape.£
Completely agree.

DREAMER wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 3:35 pm
Re-watching The Shape Of Water one thing was apparent.Why on earth was Octavia Spencer Oscar nominated for a supporting role ?
More like "Why on earth did Michael Stuhlbarg not sweep all the awards for that performance ?"

For me The Shape of Water is a deserved winner. For directing, either Nolan or Del Toro would have been a great choice but I prefer TSOW to Dunkirk tbh.

BTW, just have watched this:

Seriously, no wonder everybody loves him. He's so fucking humble and sweet, I mean like genuinely a very very nice guy.

Makes sense since the award is of course "Achievement in Being Nice"

ArmandFancypants wrote:
March 6th, 2018, 9:35 am
Makes sense since the award is of course "Achievement in Being Nice"
Wanted to post something similar but... it’s Oscars. Every year a different sort of fuckery. So it’s not like they broke a sacred code this year.