Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Let’s put it this way, Villeneuve right now is capable of creating a better movie than Ridley while asleep, this just happens to be him creating one after Ridley’s prime days, so it’s really a matter of days with me, depends on the mood. But I’d rather have a reality in which I don’t have to compare, or choose, but rather own both and enjoy the hell out of both.

It's the director's job to keep the movie interesting or grasping for the audience, it's the director's job to keep me as the audience engaged and wanting me to know more about the story or curious what happens next. PTA did a great job on the look of his film but not storytelling, that's my opinion. I felt most of the movie was a very long act 1 and then suddenly a silly twist.

Indeed, it's amazing to have so many choices and great films, I didn't disagree with that.

Anyway, if there's gonna be a sequel, I genuinely hope Alex Garland does it! Crossing my fingers Scott stay away from it :S
Vader182 wrote:
January 24th, 2018, 2:00 am
I find this all fascinating. How do you even directly compare the direction of Phantom Thread to 2049?

They're both directed beautifully, and they're each worthy of accolades. But it's a packed year in that category. We're spoiled for choice....and guys, that's a good thing.

-Vader

I'd be content if it took another 35 years for a sequel at this point. I think that shows how well 2049 stands up, even though I think it's still a little way off matching Scott's.

HorrorBiz wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 5:17 pm
Rutger Hauer seems unimpressed/uninterested in 2049.
Have you seen Blade Runner 2049?

I sniff and scratch at it. It looks great but I struggle to see why that film was necessary. I just think if something is so beautiful, you should just leave it alone and make another film. Don't lean with one elbow on the success that was earned over 30 years in the underground. In many ways, Blade Runner wasn't about the replicants, it was about what does it mean to be human? It's like E.T. But I'm not certain what the question was in the second Blade Runner. It's not a character-driven movie and there's no humor, there's no love, there's no soul. You can see the homage to the original. But that's not enough to me. I knew that wasn't going to work. But I think it's not important what I think.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ls-1085827
To be fair Rutger Hauer has seen things we people wouldn't believe.
Not much Denis Villeneuve could do to impress Roy Batty.

Quell wrote:
February 24th, 2018, 8:26 am
I'd be content if it took another 35 years for a sequel at this point. I think that shows how well 2049 stands up, even though I think it's still a little way off matching Scott's.
Please not THAT long lol, I can live with at least 10 years though. Sci-fi is a mirror to todays world, making another one in 2 to 5 years is just too close.

Nomis wrote:
February 26th, 2018, 12:28 pm
Quell wrote:
February 24th, 2018, 8:26 am
Please not THAT long lol, I can live with at least 10 years though. Sci-fi is a mirror to todays world, making another one in 2 to 5 years is just too close.
That'd be one hell of a trilogy, though.

That's for sure

Although I do hope the next one will have fewer callbacks to the first film, and the second. I want it to stand more on it's own know what I mean?

True. If there is one thing I didn't like about 2049, it's those weird Awakensish homages to the original.£

Master Virgo wrote:
February 26th, 2018, 1:17 pm
True. If there is one thing I didn't like about 2049, it's those weird Awakensish homages to the original.£
That brutal point blank though. Like a literal message to those trying to ‘awake’ the dead.

Master Virgo wrote:
February 26th, 2018, 1:17 pm
You all know I love TFA, but one major difference is that TFA's actual plot very much repeats/remixes previous Star Wars movies. Blade Runner 2049s plot and story completely does its own thing. In that way, references are as much a bit of connective tissue between films as fan-service but still mostly in the background.

Although there are a couple "Trash Compactor" like beats I could live without.

-Vader