Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
War for the Planet of the Apes
I was blown away by the confidence of the shots/editing of this. Never seen an action blockbuster with tons of CGI with so slow editing pace and so many wide shots/dollies/crane shots. Were there any handheld/shaky cam at all?

Obviously it gives you time to enjoy the insanely gorgeous visual effects, but the pacing was at times almost too slow for my liking, to a point where some of the action sequences didn't feel that intense.

Story wise it's good, but nothing special. I kind of missed a human main character, but again applaud them for their bravery in doing things differently.

7.4/10

Red Sparrow
5/10
This is so wrong in so many ways.

natalie wrote:
February 22nd, 2018, 6:06 pm
Red Sparrow
5/10
Please elaborate.

natalie wrote:
February 22nd, 2018, 6:06 pm
Red Sparrow
5/10
Is it at least worth seeing for Edgerton?

Game Night (2018)

Good good good fun. Not because of the concept. But because the film is really funny.

Rating 4/5

Black Swan
There's something unsettling with Aronofsky's directing (in these types of films) that just makes me uneasy. I can't sit still, it's brilliant. I'm putting Requiem slightly above this one though, but they're damn close. The sound design is great as well.

All the acting was phenomenal, Portman in particular. Don't ask me why I haven't seen this before.

Sanchez wrote:
February 23rd, 2018, 11:05 pm
Black Swan
There's something unsettling with Aronofsky's directing (in these types of films) that just makes me uneasy. I can't sit still, it's brilliant. I'm putting Requiem slightly above this one though, but they're damn close. The sound design is great as well.

All the acting was phenomenal, Portman in particular. Don't ask me why I haven't seen this before.
Was just about to comment on this myself. Watched it again last night. For me it's his best, with mother! controversially coming in second. The parallels with The Wrestler are nice, too.

Portman is a powerhouse when she wants to be.

Lady Bird
Director : Greta Gerwig
Year : 2017

In my mind Frances Halladay, Abigail Porter and Christine ‘Lady Bird’ McPherson
are all merging into one currently unnamed character. And its good,its all good *twitch*

★★★

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
Level of Admiration: (7.7/10)
Level of Personal Interest: (8.5/10)

Over-sentimentalism, thy name is Branagh. Not that I'm complaining. I love the guy exactly because of this kind of stuff.£

Cilogy wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 4:31 pm
I just realized, I don't think I've ever seen the theatrical versions of Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers.

I really only got into LOTR right before Return of the King came out and I saw that in the theater. But ever since then I've only ever watched the extended editions, and every time I see extended ROTK, I keep thinking how much I missed in the theater. So like, I just never bothered to go back to the theatrical versions because it's always been inferior in my mind.

I mean, even without me knowing, some scenes in the EE's are pretty obviously extras. But some cuts are just kind of mind-boggling. Like, I always just assumed the Faramir/Bormir/Denethor scene in Two Towers was always part of the film, cuz like why not right? That's such a vital piece of the backstory between those three. But of course I just found out it wasn't in the theatrical cut.

WHAT?! So if you don't already know LOTR and have only ever seen the films, you don't get to see the depth behind Boromir and Faramir's relationship.

I dunno, just seems weird. I feel like I've committed a crime without even knowing it.
ikr, I have seen the theatrical editions of TTT and FOTR only once and then never bothered to do that again. The EEs are magnificent and vastly superior to the theatrical editions.

And they still really make me want a huge Silmarillion trilogy. Go Dunkirk style and edit the thousands of years just next to each other á la The Shivering Man's story. Just as long as they won't make the films like The Hobbit.... Now with them I have barely even bothered to check out the EEs LOL