Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's action triller about the WWII story commonly known as The Miracle at Dunkirk. July 21, 2017.
Posts: 6988
Joined: January 2014
Cool. He’s still never winning BP or BD.

Posts: 905
Joined: June 2012
Reaveybeach wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 12:07 pm
Ben Shapiro is a fucking moron, don't listen to that tool. None the less, the noms feels appropriate, I hope it wins but my gut says no. I finally saw Blade Runner 2049 and I'm more shocked how snubbed that film is, which I feel a lot stronger about than Dunkirk.
Image

But yeah, it's cool to see Nolan finally get recognized by the directors branch.

Posts: 2554
Joined: June 2016
Graphic of the contenders in Dunkirk's categories:

Image

Posts: 474
Joined: February 2012
More reactions from the Dunkirk team:

Lee Smith:
“It’s feel like a lifetime achievement award,” said Smith of his third Oscar nomination and his second with longtime collaborator Christopher Nolan (he was previously nominated for Nolan’s The Dark Knight). “It’s a very good day, I keep seeing my emails,” he adds, saying he’s already been sharing congratulations with Nolan, Emma Thomas and members of the team, including sound, cinematography and of course, editorial departments. “Dunkirk was an incredibly satisfying film to work on as an editor, and to be recognized by my peers and the Academy is a wonderful feeling.”
Hoyte:
“I was asleep,” admitted Van Hoytema, saying his wife woke him to the news of his first Oscar nomination. “It’s lovely; it feels great. I’m very proud. The film is make by a tight group and I feel we were really in this together, under the leadership of Chris [Nolan]. My recognition belongs as much to Chris. He comes up with the curve balls and challenges and you do your best.”
Hans:
“Thank you to the academy for this extraordinary honor and to be in the company of such great talent. I would especially like to thank Chris Nolan for his vision in making such a bold, and experimental movie into a success. This score is as much Chris Nolan’s work as it is mine and our collaborative spirit is infused through this film. It is the hardest and closest collaboration we have done to date. The thing that I’m proudest about the work on Dunkirk is that you can’t separate the sound from the images. Chris and I have now been working together for 16 years and it’s always been our ambition, somehow, that the score and the images become one total experience.”
Also thought this post by Wally was nice:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeTj2dDhMMv ... y=wpfister
Last edited by Insomniac on January 25th, 2018, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 7821
Joined: October 2012
Location: Gran Pulse
dormouse7 wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 9:47 am
Production Design
Cinematography
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing
Original Score
Film Editing
Directing
Best Picture
That's all i ever really wanted for Dunkirk to be nominated for. So i'm really happy.

Posts: 312
Joined: July 2017
Havoc1st wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 7:09 pm
dormouse7 wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 9:47 am
Production Design
Cinematography
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing
Original Score
Film Editing
Directing
Best Picture
That's all i ever really wanted for Dunkirk to be nominated for. So i'm really happy.
Wouldn't ever have happened, but Best Original Screenplay would have been good, as well as Best Visual Effects.

Posts: 24020
Joined: June 2011
Geoffrey wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 3:45 pm
If Nolan wanted a better chance of winning, he should have in a very hamfisted manner, retooled Dunkirk to denounce neo-Nazism and promote European unity.
Reaveybeach wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 12:07 pm
Ben Shapiro is a fucking moron, don't listen to that tool. None the less, the noms feels appropriate, I hope it wins but my gut says no. I finally saw Blade Runner 2049 and I'm more shocked how snubbed that film is, which I feel a lot stronger about than Dunkirk.
Ben Shapiro is a good guy. Though I wouldn't ever call him a cinemaphile, and he's probably at least slightly biased because of Dunkirk being a WW2 movie and his Judaism.
No. No he is not.

Posts: 142
Joined: May 2014
Location: Recife, PE - Brazil
Bacon wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 10:24 pm
Geoffrey wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 3:45 pm
If Nolan wanted a better chance of winning, he should have in a very hamfisted manner, retooled Dunkirk to denounce neo-Nazism and promote European unity.
Reaveybeach wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 12:07 pm
Ben Shapiro is a fucking moron, don't listen to that tool. None the less, the noms feels appropriate, I hope it wins but my gut says no. I finally saw Blade Runner 2049 and I'm more shocked how snubbed that film is, which I feel a lot stronger about than Dunkirk.
Ben Shapiro is a good guy. Though I wouldn't ever call him a cinemaphile, and he's probably at least slightly biased because of Dunkirk being a WW2 movie and his Judaism.
No. No he is not.
Yes, he is.

Posts: 24020
Joined: June 2011
lol some people :facepalm:

Posts: 142
Joined: May 2014
Location: Recife, PE - Brazil
Bacon wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 10:33 pm
lol some people :facepalm:
Same as above. 8-)

Post Reply