Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
triptych wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 12:11 pm
MyCocaine wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 12:01 pm
Ben Shapiro knows what he's talking about.

Also, I wouldn't describe him simply as a Nolan fan.

He's a defender of rationality and opposes the radical left.
Sounds like a typical Nolan fan. Also he doesn't have to word it like that.
Really? Nolan fans are known for being against SJW's?
(I am but it's just me :P)

Bacon wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 11:52 am
Desplat will win score.
It would be funny if he does win. First Interstellar (still can't believe he lost for that score) and then Dunkirk.

Zimmer winning Original Score for Dunkirk would be atypical.

It's an impecale piece of work but we cannot dismiss it's unusual nature.

Zimmer losing to the fucking Grand Budapest Hotel score is on the level of TDK snub. If it happens again I'm gonna lose my shit.

People always compare Dunkirk's score to Interstellar to explain how Dunkirk doesn't deserve awards. To me I think it definitely does. It's a horror/suspense score and it's an integral part of the film. People don't seem to realize how much of a challenge it was. It's an incredible technical achievement.

It is unusual and it's apparent that the academy will probably pick a traditional score.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... 18-1077326

Nomination reaction:

Nolan:
The boundary-pushing filmmaker at long last scored a nomination for his directing work, calling it "a tremendous honor" to get singled out in the category. "It' something I haven't had before. It's really thrilling. It's really gratifying that people would recognize my work in that way," he said. It's been a long journey making the film, which tells the story of the 1940 evacuation of Dunkirk, and one that’s been a passion of his for some time. "It's a very powerful story and it shows the unique power of an extraordinary true story," Nolan added.
Emma:
The married producing team and parents to four children have a busy morning routine getting their kids ready for school. Thomas admitted to "being a little superstitious," so she would never wake up at 5 a.m. to watch the nominations live, but she learned the news their World War II film had netted eight nominations, including best picture and best director for Nolan, when her "phone started blowing up." She woke up her husband to share the news. "We didn't have a lot of time to process it in between school runs and stuff, but it's great news first thing in the morning," said Nolan.

In particular, Thomas is "beyond thrilled" that her husband was nominated for directing for the first time. "It's kind of crazy to me that he hadn't been nominated before. When I look at the films he's made, I personally can make the argument for him having been nominated for any of them. When I look at Dunkirk, there is truly no one else who could have made that film the way he did," she said, pointing to "the complexity of the structure, and the fact that he almost by force of will managed to do so much of it with real planes and real boats."
Alex Gibson:
“I’m thrilled about my nomination for Dunkirk. It was a labor of love for everyone involved and I’m happy it’s getting the recognition it deserves,” said the three-time Oscar winner of his sixth nomination. “I’m so very excited that the Academy has honored Richard [King] and myself for such a difficult and complex project. And humbled at the sound branch’s inclusion of myself in it. The forward thinking of the Academy permitted this to happen.”
The sound mixing team:
“So excited about the nomination! It is such an honor to have been part of the incredible team that made Dunkirk,” said Weingarten. “Thank you to everyone who participated in the making of Dunkirk. I feel tremendously grateful to have this film, and nomination, be the culmination of my amazing 47-year career in the motion picture industry,” said three-time Oscar winner Landaker of his ninth nomination. “I wish I were as witty and funny as Tiffany Haddish at this hour of the morning. I’m incredibly honored and equally nauseous for the sound mixing nomination and humbled by the Best Picture and Best Director nominations as well,” said Rizzo, who received his fifth Oscar nomination. Rizzo previously won an Oscar for Inception.

Praise the lord, a nomination for Nolan!

Dunkirk
‏Verified account @dunkirkmovie

Congrats to the incredible team of #Dunkirk on today’s 8 Academy Award nominations. #OscarNoms #BestPicture #BestDirector

If Nolan wanted a better chance of winning, he should have in a very hamfisted manner, retooled Dunkirk to denounce neo-Nazism and promote European unity.
Reaveybeach wrote:
January 23rd, 2018, 12:07 pm
Ben Shapiro is a fucking moron, don't listen to that tool. None the less, the noms feels appropriate, I hope it wins but my gut says no. I finally saw Blade Runner 2049 and I'm more shocked how snubbed that film is, which I feel a lot stronger about than Dunkirk.
Ben Shapiro is a good guy. Though I wouldn't ever call him a cinemaphile, and he's probably at least slightly biased because of Dunkirk being a WW2 movie and his Judaism.

Variety: Christopher Nolan Scores His First-Ever Oscar Nomination for Best Director
http://variety.com/2018/film/in-content ... 202673364/

Christopher Nolan has finally found a seat at the table with his director peers in the motion picture Academy.

The “Dunkirk” helmer picked up his first-ever best-director Oscar nomination Tuesday after three previous bids stalled with the Academy. While the Directors Guild of America had nominated Nolan for “Memento” (2000), “The Dark Knight” (2008) and “Inception” (2010) prior to this year’s recognition for his latest feat of virtuoso filmmaking, the Academy’s directors branch just never would bite.

The “Inception” miss in particular was puzzling for a best picture nominee that ended up being the year’s most awarded film at the Oscars that year. (Nolan did, however, receive screenplay Oscar nominations for “Memento” and “Inception,” as well as a best picture nomination for the latter.)

In addition to the director recognition this year, Nolan was also nominated alongside wife and co-producer Emma Thomas in the best picture category for his gripping World War II drama.

“Dunkirk” received eight Oscar nominations in total, the majority of them throughout the Academy’s various craft categories. It’s a particularly strong contender in the cinematography, sound editing and sound mixing races, three awards that, incidentally, went to “Inception” in its year.

“Dunkirk” comes into the Oscars as the box office champ of this year’s best picture slate. The film opened to $50.5 million domestic in July and went on to gross $525.5 million worldwide.

“At a time when there’s all kinds of storytelling around, movies that gravitate toward things that only movies can do carve out a place for themselves,” Nolan told Variety in a wide-ranging interview at last year’s Toronto Film Festival. “As a director, I try to show people things they’ve never seen before.”

The 90th annual Oscars will be held on Sunday, March 4.