Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Bacon wrote:Literally any other year, I'd be rooting for Del Toro to win everything (especially if this film is on the same level as Pan's Labyrinth which is what people are saying). I have to keep reminding myself of that.

The fact that I am unable to see the film at the present moment is the most annoying part though.
Not on the same level but right below it. I agree that normally I would be happy and rooting for Del Toro but Nolan is so due right now. The Shape of Water is very good but when I saw it I didn't think Del Toro would be this unstoppable force. Anyway I'm still not giving up until the Oscars. If he loses DGA that will be very bad but I'll still have some hope.

I love Dunkirk and I love The Shape of Water...let's face it though, the latter is more the type of movie that would win these awards. Its hard to say this as a Nolan fan, but I can honestly see why The Shape of Water won, looking at it through the eyes of those who decide these things. I'm just thinking back to years and years of watching these things play out. It's more sentimental, and that already gave it a bit of an edge.

Oldfriend wrote:I love Dunkirk and I love The Shape of Water...let's face it though, the latter is more the type of movie that would win these awards. Its hard to say this as a Nolan fan, but I can honestly see why The Shape of Water won, looking at it through the eyes of those who decide these things. I'm just thinking back to years and years of watching these things play out. It's more sentimental, and that already gave it a bit of an edge.
That is true. I’m afraid that a lot of movies won based off concept rather than actual quality. TSOW is about a lonely woman who finally finds love, but in the form of a mysterious top secret creature, who she breaks out of a top secret government facility. Dunkirk is about 400,000 dudes that stand around on a beach waiting for a boat.

Having seen "The Shape of Water" I thought it was good and I liked some of Del Toro's other flicks, but looking at their overall filmography Nolan is way more due. I know it's suppose to be about the particular movie that is in the running, but Shape of Water is not better rated than Dunkirk in any critic metric. So Nolan's superior filmography should be a tipping point. Ultimately, I do think it comes down to a popularity contest, and Del Toro is more friendly and likeable. Also, think there has been and continues to be some jealousy towards Nolan and his success.

Ace

Oku
Inception all over again?

Summer release date disadvantage + huge financial success = awards voters don't feel the need to recognize it, and instead focus on newer releases with smaller budgets

Ace wrote:Image
Looks like Emma needs to put Chris on her diet regimen.

I told you so.

Let's be honest, Oldman, Nolan and Deakins all getting their long overdue Oscars in the same year, always seemed too good to be true.£

So people just giving up huh... :facepalm:

This is pretty sad.