Who's seen Following?

The 1998 feature film about a young writer who follows strangers for material meets a thief who takes him under his wing.
I bought Following 4 years ago at the BFI Southbank in London. I was there to meet David Fincher then went to the DVD shop for a second and gave a nice little fangirl squee when I found a copy lol I have to say when I first saw it, I saw it alone and was a little torn about it. second time though I fell for it, probably my 4th fave Nolan film.. and when I first showed it to my brother he loved it so much he said it's his new number 1 lol (it moved to 2nd place after he saw Memento again for the gazillionth time)

lalyil wrote:I bought Following 4 years ago at the BFI Southbank in London. I was there to meet David Fincher then went to the DVD shop for a second and gave a nice little fangirl squee when I found a copy lol I have to say when I first saw it, I saw it alone and was a little torn about it. second time though I fell for it, probably my 4th fave Nolan film.. and when I first showed it to my brother he loved it so much he said it's his new number 1 lol (it moved to 2nd place after he saw Memento again for the gazillionth time)
Glad to meet another Nolanite that loves Following as much as I. It's currently my 3rd favorite Nolan film. What about it makes you rank it so high?

Skyab23 wrote:
lalyil wrote:I bought Following 4 years ago at the BFI Southbank in London. I was there to meet David Fincher then went to the DVD shop for a second and gave a nice little fangirl squee when I found a copy lol I have to say when I first saw it, I saw it alone and was a little torn about it. second time though I fell for it, probably my 4th fave Nolan film.. and when I first showed it to my brother he loved it so much he said it's his new number 1 lol (it moved to 2nd place after he saw Memento again for the gazillionth time)
Glad to meet another Nolanite that loves Following as much as I. It's currently my 3rd favorite Nolan film. What about it makes you rank it so high?
Suppose it's the raw-ness of it all. It brings back memories of my noir phase growing up lol also, the idea is brilliant. I studied Walter Benjamin/George Perec's idea of Flâneurism, which really suits the film. It gives it a whole new meaning. The film suddenly becomes very symbolic to the postmodern world.. a symoblism that becomes even more obvious and extreme in Memento. I just love that cos it really connects the two.
I think another reason why I love Following is because.. I just really love London :lol:

lalyil wrote:
Skyab23 wrote:
Suppose it's the raw-ness of it all. It brings back memories of my noir phase growing up lol also, the idea is brilliant. I studied Walter Benjamin/George Perec's idea of Flâneurism, which really suits the film. It gives it a whole new meaning. The film suddenly becomes very symbolic to the postmodern world.. a symoblism that becomes even more obvious and extreme in Memento. I just love that cos it really connects the two.
I think another reason why I love Following is because.. I just really love London :lol:
That's awesome. I loved the intimate feel of the film, as well as its subject matter. I hope Nolan decides to return to that feel of a art-house type movie a la Memento and Following. The ending was jaw-dropping as well, and when you take into consideration it was Nolan's first film and on a $6k budget, it's amazing what he was able to do.

Skyab23 wrote:That's awesome. I loved the intimate feel of the film, as well as its subject matter. I hope Nolan decides to return to that feel of a art-house type movie a la Memento and Following. The ending was jaw-dropping as well, and when you take into consideration it was Nolan's first film and on a $6k budget, it's amazing what he was able to do.
True, the amazing story behind it/how it was made is a turn on too 8-)
I often worry he'll never make another film like Following or Memento again.. something more intimate and artsy (though from a book I've read it seems the last thing he wanted was for Memento to be considered artsy). But I still believe in him, and worst case we have those movies to always fall back on :D

and ps. LA Confidential right? I used to love this movie so much.. I still do but haven't seen it for years. It's one of the very few movies I bought back on VHS before they started producing DVDs here :lol:

I've seen it few days ago, my second viewing. Powerfull low-budget experience with maximum dosage of quality writing, I liked it even more this second time. Lucy Russell was extremely sexy.

lalyil wrote:and ps. LA Confidential right? I used to love this movie so much.. I still do but haven't seen it for years. It's one of the very few movies I bought back on VHS before they started producing DVDs here :lol:
You've got to get on that, and check it out. It's one of my top 10 favorite films ever. And it's probably the biggest Best Picture snub ever, with it losing to Titanic. (Titanic for Christ sake).

m4st4 wrote:I've seen it few days ago, my second viewing. Powerfull low-budget experience with maximum dosage of quality writing, I liked it even more this second time. Lucy Russell was extremely sexy.
yeah, I share the same sentiment. I'm a film nerd :ugeek: so I really appreciate the score when it's placed right and a great climax, and when the film reaches the end and that score starts as the climax begins and the whole thing begins to unfold which makes you realize that every little thing you've seen had purpose, it gives me chills recognizing and appreciating great filmmaking when I see it.

I love Lucy Russell.. I have a thing for these old pin-up ladies and she looks like she came straight out of the 30s.