Criterion Collection Blu-ray/DVD coming soon

The 1998 feature film about a young writer who follows strangers for material meets a thief who takes him under his wing.

Though it has been a while, I got an email from Jon Mulvaney at Criterion re: Following.

date Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 2:56 PM
subject Re: Chris Nolan "Following" DVD?
mailed-by criterion.com
hide details 10/7/10
Hi Jonah,

Thanks for your email!

Yes, we do hope to release this film in the not-so-distant future but have no exact date set yet...

We try to announce our upcoming releases as far in advance as possible-- both on our website and in newsletter form. I recommend checking out the "Coming Soon" section of our website as well as our e-newsletter. I'm including direct links for you below.

I hope this helps, and feel free to write again should you have further questions!

Sincerely,

Jon Mulvaney

Also, I don't know who he was, but in one Facebook Criterion posting, someone in the comments said it will be 2012.

I already have the Following DVD, so the only supplementals I really am hoping for are the earlier Nolan shorts that have yet to be released. Improved picture & sound, new interviews are nice, but I want these shorts badly.

If it is without these, I doubt we will ever see them, so I hope to FSM that they will be on this release.

BUT, a 2012 release does seem logical, as it would coincide with TDKR

wow, nice detective work! :thumbup:

This looks boss.
SYNOPSIS: A twisted treasure from Hollywood’s pre-Code horror heyday, Island of Lost Souls is a cautionary tale of science run amok adapted from H. G. Wells’s novel The Island of Dr. Moreau. In one of his first major movie roles, Charles Laughton is a mad doctor conducting ghastly genetic experiments on a remote island in the South Seas, much to the fear and disgust of the shipwrecked sailor (Richard Arlen) who finds himself trapped there. Erle C. Kenton’s touchstone of movie terror is elegantly shot by Karl Struss, features groundbreaking makeup effects that inspired generations of monster-movie artists, and costars Bela Lugosi in one his most gruesome roles.

Criterion makes the best covers as well.

Would love a Criterion BD of Following.. heard rumours it was in the works... it's just a shame CN doesn't provide many commentaries any-more, as a retrospective one on this would be ace.

I'm Asian Nolan fan, actullay I got 2003 American Edition and the Italian In ISO Format. Sorry Nolan I'm Hopping that Nolan can release the bluray during the promotion of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES as last time re-releasing the IFC DVD version during the promotion of inception. By the way ,i love the new re-release trailer.Otherwise I think i have to wait until 2018 to see the 20 years Anniversary bluray .so Sony please invent the new playstation 4, then The video entertainment company will find out the bluray is cheap so that we can get following before 2018 :lol: Also hoping the bluray the dvd-9 (not dvd-5 anymore)can supplemental more his earlier short,not just doodlebug like one of the DVD version. If it is possible, I want Following bluray+doodlebug+Larceny+tarantella

I have news. Sort of.

A few weeks ago, I emailed Jon Mulvaney from Criterion again (I emailed him 2 years ago), and his reply (the relevant part) was:

Thank you for your email. This is a title that we are still interested in, but sometimes the process takes longer than expected.

So...I don't know what that means, but glad the project isn't dead. I understand he can't talk about it, but I've been keeping my ear pretty close to the soil on this, so you can bet your beans that I'll be posting the news of the release here first.

sickofsickness wrote:I have news. Sort of.

A few weeks ago, I emailed Jon Mulvaney from Criterion again (I emailed him 2 years ago), and his reply (the relevant part) was:

Thank you for your email. This is a title that we are still interested in, but sometimes the process takes longer than expected.

So...I don't know what that means, but glad the project isn't dead. I understand he can't talk about it, but I've been keeping my ear pretty close to the soil on this, so you can bet your beans that I'll be posting the news of the release here first.
Thanks for keeping us up to date. I'm a big fan of the movie, and while it wouldn't be much of an upgrade in film quality, I still feel it necessary for all of Nolan's films to be on Blu Ray.

Get this shit rolling.