Criterion Collection Blu-ray/DVD coming soon

The 1998 feature film about a young writer who follows strangers for material meets a thief who takes him under his wing.
I emailed Jeremy Theobald at his professional email address. I was very polite and eloquent in it so as to get the best response. This is what he said, in full:

Hi Jonah

No, your email is not out of line. Many thanks for your kind comments on my acting and publishing career; I wish the former was more successful!

I was in Larceny and I had a small voiceover in Tarantula, which if I remember correctly Chris made while at college. It was a feature-length colour film I think on 16mm. Larceny was a black and white short, about 9 minutes long, filmed in a similar style to Following with the same Arriflex camera on 16mm. It made the Cambridge Short Film Festival selection in the UK in 1990-something 5 or 6 maybe I think. It's a long time ago now!

I spoke with Chris and Emma at the Dark Knight Rises premier in London in July, and Emma told me then they were re-releasing Following but I haven't heard any details about it. I can't comment on why Chris hasn't put those films in. I would assume because Tarantula would be too long, and I don't know that he ever considered it finished. When we have spoken before about Larceny, we've thought it too similar to Following to be viewed side by side.

I understand your frustration but Chris's decisions have always been his own. When I speak to him next, I will mention it.

Best

Jeremy

And so we learn Tarantula was feature length!, And I can see the logic for Larceny, but at the same time it would be interesting for a comparison and how Following evolved from Larceny

sickofsickness wrote:I emailed Jeremy Theobald at his professional email address. I was very polite and eloquent in it so as to get the best response. This is what he said, in full:

Hi Jonah

No, your email is not out of line. Many thanks for your kind comments on my acting and publishing career; I wish the former was more successful!

I was in Larceny and I had a small voiceover in Tarantula, which if I remember correctly Chris made while at college. It was a feature-length colour film I think on 16mm. Larceny was a black and white short, about 9 minutes long, filmed in a similar style to Following with the same Arriflex camera on 16mm. It made the Cambridge Short Film Festival selection in the UK in 1990-something 5 or 6 maybe I think. It's a long time ago now!

I spoke with Chris and Emma at the Dark Knight Rises premier in London in July, and Emma told me then they were re-releasing Following but I haven't heard any details about it. I can't comment on why Chris hasn't put those films in. I would assume because Tarantula would be too long, and I don't know that he ever considered it finished. When we have spoken before about Larceny, we've thought it too similar to Following to be viewed side by side.

I understand your frustration but Chris's decisions have always been his own. When I speak to him next, I will mention it.

Best

Jeremy

And so we learn Tarantula was feature length!, And I can see the logic for Larceny, but at the same time it would be interesting for a comparison and how Following evolved from Larceny
What a nice guy! :twothumbsup:

sickofsickness wrote:I emailed Jeremy Theobald at his professional email address. I was very polite and eloquent in it so as to get the best response. This is what he said, in full:

Hi Jonah

Best

Jeremy

Nice to hear that Jeremy still is a friend to Christ and they still have a contact ; )

poplar wrote:

Hi Jonah

Best

Jeremy

Nice to hear that Jeremy still is a friend to Christ and they still have a contact ; )
PRAISE JESUS :p

sickofsickness wrote:
poplar wrote:
PRAISE JESUS :p
Great typo ; )
Of course I mean Chris :D

Just got this on DVD today (the blurays are region coded). Can't wait to finally see this thing.

Criterion did an amazing job with the blu-ray and restoration, great extras too

titansupes wrote:Just got this on DVD today (the blurays are region coded). Can't wait to finally see this thing.
Just following on from this post (no pun intended), I watched this tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was strange to see where it all really started, noticing techniques and themes he'd kept in place and evolved all these years.