The cheapest feature film ever made?

The 1998 feature film about a young writer who follows strangers for material meets a thief who takes him under his wing.
bLaZe wrote:
rbevanx wrote:here it is and the film is called "Colin"

http://www.gitnews.com/?p=3771
How the hell do you make a movie so cheap? My 5-minute short I made last year at least cost me a couple $100's (thanks to the pricey locations/costumes). That's damn impressive!
I was wondering the same thing, if someone has a link to the film, I can tell you how.
:problem:

I had thought for a while that Pi was the cheapest film ever made, but Following is way cheaper!

I made a short film for my highschool film festival a few years back and spent about 300 dollars and it was only five minutes long....

well if you got a good story nothing can stop you.

I'm very interested to see how much the video quality improves when Following gets released on Blu-ray. I was sort of hoping it would happen in July with Inception getting released, but Criterion didn't have it in their announcements.

George wrote:I'm very interested to see how much the video quality improves when Following gets released on Blu-ray. I was sort of hoping it would happen in July with Inception getting released, but Criterion didn't have it in their announcements.
oh very good, didn't know it was gonna be released on dvd...

if you have actors who work hard and you can get some cool locations without paying.. i don't think making a movie cost that much nowadays.. editing and recording music or voice dub can be done at home with very good programs...

as for the title of the topic, i don't think Following is the cheapest, some other flicks cost less, maybe El Mariachi by Rodriguez..

Slask wrote:if you have actors who work hard and you can get some cool locations without paying.. i don't think making a movie cost that much nowadays.. editing and recording music or voice dub can be done at home with very good programs...

as for the title of the topic, i don't think Following is the cheapest, some other flicks cost less, maybe El Mariachi by Rodriguez..
$7,000 (original) (estimated)

that's for Mariachi

even if you decide to shoot on low or no budget it always depends on what you accept as included in the budget. for example you can decide to include or exclude the gas you pay for or transport money or so on as 'in the budget'.

prince0gotham wrote:even if you decide to shoot on low or no budget it always depends on what you accept as included in the budget. for example you can decide to include or exclude the gas you pay for or transport money or so on as 'in the budget'.
mmm, that's right.. maybe if we include all the details Following could be one of the cheapest.
Probably Kevin Smith for the first original cut of the cult movie CLERKS succedeed in paying less... actually he had to pay 23.000 $ for the copyrights of the songs he wanted to include as soundtrack for the movie, but that was when he re-edited it.

I made this for $0...

Does that count..? lol.

I would like to see inception with only 6000 dollars budget :problem: