Nolan Fans 2013 Forum Updates

Have any ideas for improvements? Run into any bugs? Let us know here.
RyanRises wrote:I guess that means I win.
No. You're the one who screwed it up for the rest of us.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

dammit ryan
Sigs???

Brave New World

Jonas Agersø wrote:But why allow it in the sig? because its not visible on phones? or?
I know a lot of you guys like gifs. I didn't want to take everything away.

Hiding gif signatures on mobile devices sounds like an interesting idea. That could be cool.

apw
Will there be a file size limit on the GIFs in the signatures?

If we do limit the file sizes, I'll make sure that the limit it won't get in the way of proper use.

I'm not much into these technobabylons these days, so what exactly is the benefit of Nolan Fans hosting the avatar images directly?
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender

In the first post, I talk about "External HTTP Requests" and "Caching." Allow me to elaborate.

An external HTTP request is a request sent to a website other than the website from which you're attempting to load a page. This would be to fetch additional data required to load that page, such as an image.

For example: If I host my avatar at imgur.com and you decide to browse a page on Nolan Fans that requires my avatar to be displayed, your browser will be talking with the servers at nolanfans.com at first. Once this information is downloaded, your browser learns that it also needs to load my avatar from imgur.com. Another request is sent there and you wait for the image to come back.

Now, all of this happens nearly instantly if you have a decent internet connection, especially since imgur is a great place to host images. If we host the images on our servers, they can be downloaded at the same time as the rest of the page, known as parallelization, and prevent the bounce back to the internets for more.

Since we don't own the image, we can't set how long the image is "cached" on your computer. Web browsers store a local bank of recently used files including images and text to prevent the need to re-download these items many times. Caching these items properly can save time and a huge amount of bandwidth. If we host the images here, we can set avatar images to be cached for a week, for example. This means that your computer will download avatar images and keep them for a week before fetching them from the internet again.

Why in the world are GIFs not allowed for avatars? Seriously. Screw custom titles, if I can't have gif avatars. Don't update the site. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Bacon wrote:Why in the world are GIFs not allowed for avatars? Seriously. Screw custom titles, if I can't have gif avatars. Don't update the site. Don't fix what ain't broke.
Did you even read what Alex posted? :facepalm:

And says the guy with a non gif avy.
Brave New World