Video Games Part II

A place to discuss music and video games.
I've been playing Tom clancy's The Division for the past week since it's on Xbox Game Pass. Really enjoying it when it's not wave after wave of enemies, or when the game decides to make the enemies all bullet spongy when you teamup with other people; managed to complete a level 16 mission today with our team as only level 12-13 but the bullet sponge is real.

Also, played some Forza 6 for few hours which was surprisingly enjoyable once you get a hang of the controls.

okay so over the holiday season i randomly thought of replaying dead space, and now am onto 3 (i took my time lol). i didn't even think i'd play it, but finished 2 and just went along. am now vividly remembering why this game is just so fucking frustrating UGH

I tried to play Dead Space some time ago, and after ten minutes came to the conclusion that I'm too much of a scaredy cat for this kind of shit.

Master Virgo wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 9:52 am
I tried to play Dead Space some time ago, and after ten minutes came to the conclusion that I'm too much of a scaredy cat for this kind of shit.
Literally everything scares the shit out of me, but the first game is one of my all time favorites. I’d say power through it, because it’s unlike anything else (although I’m not a hardcore gamer so don’t take my word on it). But I found it genuinely scary, and although it’s one of the reasons why I love it so much, I totally get why people wouldn’t want to go near it. It’s always a nerve wracking experience, no matter the mode or the number of times you’ve played it. The atmosphere, the story and mythology the first game sets up is imo unbeatable. I love the 2nd one, but the og game is the perfect game imo.

And the 3rd one is almost the complete opposite of that lol. I don’t mind the co op, I play solo for a few reasons. It has its cool moments. I like some of the new character additions, parts of the story and ideas behind it, but the writing almost destroys chunks of this game and I cringe whenever I have to advance past
the dumb love triangle shit. Ellie is not even a character in this game anymore, but they exchanged her arc for a set of bigger boobs so it’s all cool.
The game ultimately is just a shell of its predecessors. It’s not horror anymore. Ironically, I played the optional side missions for the first time and those probably got the closest to mimicking the eeriness of the first one. Otherwise the game just drowns you in enemies until you’re going mad and just powering through them out of sheer frustration, not because you’re terrified in any capacity. That’s not how good horror is done. It should never give you the opportunity to get used to whatever is supposed to haunt you. Just dropping 20 necromorphs at you every 3 minutes is not it. Like if you judge the game solely on its own merit, no other context included, it’s actually not awful at all, but it just can’t compare to the first 2. And it sucks, because if you choose to explore the world, you find little details that almost bring you close to that experience. The 200 year old base and ship interiors are quite atmospheric and really cool to navigate, even if at some point everything looks the same to you. Like it just sucks that what could have been a killer game got bastardized because EA got confused over their target audience, trying to eat their cake and have it too, and then just... lost both? And we’ll never get more games, so I love that for me. Thx for coming to my ted talk rant

Master Virgo wrote:
Same for me. Played maybe an or two then stopped since i got to uncomfortable with the tense atmosphere.

Dead Space is the shit. But it’s also scary as shit. Played it when I was about 13-14 years old, still haven’t fully recovered :twothumbsup:

Ruth wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 1:09 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
Literally everything scares the shit out of me, but the first game is one of my all time favorites. I’d say power through it, because it’s unlike anything else (although I’m not a hardcore gamer so don’t take my word on it). But I found it genuinely scary, and although it’s one of the reasons why I love it so much, I totally get why people wouldn’t want to go near it. It’s always a nerve wracking experience, no matter the mode or the number of times you’ve played it. The atmosphere, the story and mythology the first game sets up is imo unbeatable. I love the 2nd one, but the og game is the perfect game imo.

And the 3rd one is almost the complete opposite of that lol. I don’t mind the co op, I play solo for a few reasons. It has its cool moments. I like some of the new character additions, parts of the story and ideas behind it, but the writing almost destroys chunks of this game and I cringe whenever I have to advance past
the dumb love triangle shit. Ellie is not even a character in this game anymore, but they exchanged her arc for a set of bigger boobs so it’s all cool.
The game ultimately is just a shell of its predecessors. It’s not horror anymore. Ironically, I played the optional side missions for the first time and those probably got the closest to mimicking the eeriness of the first one. Otherwise the game just drowns you in enemies until you’re going mad and just powering through them out of sheer frustration, not because you’re terrified in any capacity. That’s not how good horror is done. It should never give you the opportunity to get used to whatever is supposed to haunt you. Just dropping 20 necromorphs at you every 3 minutes is not it. Like if you judge the game solely on its own merit, no other context included, it’s actually not awful at all, but it just can’t compare to the first 2. And it sucks, because if you choose to explore the world, you find little details that almost bring you close to that experience. The 200 year old base and ship interiors are quite atmospheric and really cool to navigate, even if at some point everything looks the same to you. Like it just sucks that what could have been a killer game got bastardized because EA got confused over their target audience, trying to eat their cake and have it too, and then just... lost both? And we’ll never get more games, so I love that for me. Thx for coming to my ted talk rant
yus

Also am about to play the DLC for the first time and apparently it made people even more angry so expect more rants from me lol

RIP Sword Saint Ishiin, you were my greatest foe, finally down after 76 hours of Sekiro vanilla.

GOTY 2019.