Video Games Part II

A place to discuss music and video games.
prince0gotham wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 6:48 am
m4st4 wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 6:30 am
Yeah, I cannot imagine a good Superman game without AC: Odyssey sized map, at least. And a good chunk of outer space to explore as well... and he’d still have to be nerfed cause Supes should be able to traverse that sort of space in a matter of seconds. Extremely difficult character to (truly) adapt in any medium, let alone games. 🕷️
Well you do have games where you play as a literal god who needs a boi to help him scale 4 meter high obstacles so i see no problem with this

Lol

Anyway the size isnt the problem, the texture loading is, but this can be dealt with if the game forces you to pick where you go before you fly there at superspeed and force you into a short cutscene of him building up power then another one of him travelling through like a space tunnel (where lets say the player can have minimal input of direction, so that that isnt a cutscene too) during which time the textures of the destination will have loaded. If this all amounts to like 8-10 seconds it wont be so obvious but will still need a very specific kind of engine to support it.

As for the slower flying speed, blur effects covering up the texture load will do fine
Lol

Done deal, then.

Pitch that to Rocksteady.🕷️

Well i mean its not the tech thats the problem -now- of all times, it must be other things. Right now theres plenty of solutions, not to mention they can start small, like just Metropolis, and grow a lot by the third or fourth game, as long as the first are gopd enough (which doesnt necessarily depend entirely on whether Supes can go into space whenever he wants).

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article ... erman-game
When I used to think about a "perfect" Superman game, I thought about flying fast and punching big things really, really hard. I relished the fun his abilities might provide, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I was missing the entire point of his character. We're drawn to the prospect of becoming Superman because of the power fantasy we think he represents, when his identity as a hero actually hinges on restraint, and the denial of power.
Player agency is a tricky thing, and game design is inherently audience-focused. If the universe needs saving, we may spend a couple dozen hours to search for collectibles and hunt Achievements first. We revel in testing the boundaries of simulations, ignoring button prompts, quick time events, and tutorials, then blaming the developers for our confusion. We enter stunningly-detailed fantasy worlds filled with quests and adventure—only to attempt to kill the ruler of said realm to see if we can get away with it (some of us even succeed).

Superman—and his lofty, all-powerful image—just isn't conducive to this kind of design.

Providing this specific fantasy requires thinking outside of traditional genres. Perhaps more than any other hero, Superman requires players to fill a very strictly-defined role—and any error within this role makes Superman, well, not Superman.
Superman works as a symbol because he isn't us. Granted powers we could only dream of, he chooses moderation when excess would be so gloriously easy. Capturing the empathy that makes the character compelling, while attempting to offer a traditional power fantasy, is a paradox. Because he shows us what we can be, that spirit of self-sacrifice is next to impossible to emulate. After all, most games are built to give us an escape.

Superman has none.

Decided to bite the dust and craft Whizbang and Tess Greymane in Hearthstone. Some of Whizbang's decks are good. Haven't played Tess much to have an opinion on her.

I love Tess, but I had to disenchant her, since I only play mage. Have kept Whizbang tho, would be a waste to burn that one.£

whewww

this game is a better movie than a lot of movies

good god i started playing grim fandango like two years ago and then forgot to finish it at some point

but i loved it

So the sequel to Alien: Isolation is going to be a mobile game. :blank:

Havoc1st wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 7:17 pm
News flash to all developers, nobody in your fan base wants a main entry game to be mobile. It only works if you announce a mobile game to go alongside the main entry (like Gears 5).

Havoc1st wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 7:17 pm
do you guys not have phones