Video Games Part II

A place to discuss music and video games.
Cilogy wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 2:13 pm
so

logged onto PS Store for the first time in like a year to buy Spidey and realized I purchased and installed Horizon: Zero Dawn but haven't played it yet

meanwhile Civ VI, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Stardew Valley, Stick of Truth, Alien: Isolation, Mad Max, Dragon's Dogma, the Homeworld collection, both Metro games, and the entire Bioshock trilogy all remain totally and completely untouched in my Steam library

someone fucking keep my wallet away from me
God, play Bioshock trilogy, it's a fucking masterpiece.

Well I was wrong about Spidey, its a ridiculous amountnof fun, and its a good looking game too.

It probably has one of the best openings to a game in a while.

But while the combat is an improvement over Arkham-style fighting, the actual webslinging does not feel intuitive. Takes me forever to travel around the city.

Cilogy wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 10:53 pm
Well I was wrong about Spidey, its a ridiculous amountnof fun, and its a good looking game too.

But while the combat is an improvement over Arkham-style fighting, the actual webslinging does not feel intuitive. Takes me forever to travel around the city.
christ on a cross does this mean I have to get it

-Vader

Picked up a GameCube, anybody here ever play Eternal Darkness? I bought it as I found a decent price with it being radish but probably won’t play it until Spidey is done. Just curious if it’s as good as it’s reviews say, really one of the highest rated horror games ever.

Cilogy wrote:

a) give it time, you’ll reach a point of complete zen soon-ish
b) wait for fast travel unlock
c) Velocity suit exists

The way this game builds upon characters’ foundations is incredible. One character in particular impresses me greatly. The restraint in storytelling techniques here almost shouldn’t exist (based on previous iterations) but Insomniac did it and I’m glad they did. It’s, dare I say, on Naughty Dog’s level at times. Really impressive stuff. Word of advice: main story missions and side content - mix it up throughout the game, makes for a better experience. I’ll get a platinum in the next day or two and it’s my goty so far. 🕷️

Vader182 wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 11:39 pm
Cilogy wrote:

christ on a cross does this mean I have to get it

-Vader
Yes.

I mean, I think anyone who loves Arkham gameplay is gonna love this too.

I gotta say it pulls a lot of common tropes from open world games (collectibles, viepoints, side quests, random encounters). So, aside from the superb graphics, the game could easily have been made like 5 years ago. Nothing there is necessarily "new". We've all played this game before, in a sense.

But the big difference is that the game not only gets the vital things right, it gets them very right. It scratches the Spidey itch. The combat and the skill unlocks and upgrades are fun as fuck, that part is the core of the game and it alone is worth the purchase, at least for me.

I'm only a few hours in but I think I'm getting used to swinging now. Characters are getting interesting too. Story didn't have a great start, but it's clearly going somewhere promising.

8/10

best superhero game in ages, seems like

Grinding for that Spidey platinum like...

Also, story hit a super-high note today, I'm almost afraid to go all the way to the finish line, it might end.

🕷

Just finished and platinumed the game, love it. I dunno if I'd put it on the same level as, say, Arkham City, but it beats Spider-Man 2 out of the water.

Speaking of Spider-Man 2 though, it's clear Insomniac had a lot of respect for that game. I found a couple of nods and easter eggs to that game throughout (as well as the film).

How the hell is the buggy, micro transaction filled mess that is NBA 2K19 at an 86 on Metacritic? I can’t believe any gaming source would give something like that above an 8 seeing as it requires you to sell your soul if you want to invest in creating a player.

god this game is so fucking fun