Hideo Kojima Official Thread

A place to discuss music and video games.
Cilogy wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 11:35 am
It feels like a Fallout game in that way, in that the story is told to you instead of always making you an engaged participant. It makes the world feel incredibly empty, and perhaps that's intentional, but it also seems like a product of the post-Konami Kojima, where he doesn't have the backing of a big studio and budget.
I keep saying this, but this isn't a "small budget game". Uncharted 4 had a 50 mil budget, this is reported to have 80+ and TPP has relatively similar budget too. If something looks minimal or isolated/alienating/withholding, it's perhaps because he either doesn't care for that kind of diversity or isn't capable of creating it, and it's not the latter. Also look at the cast, the marketting, the work that went into the music, etc. And if something had a limiting effect on the outcome it's probably development time, and even that is something Kojima decided himself. If anything it'll probably end up a more "finished" game than TPP too.

I'm getting real sick of the people that continuously try to find something wrong/unethical with what Kojima is talking about to somehow and discredit the game. People are reacting with hostility to his comments about westerner's tastes and are still review bombing DS on Metacritic.

I don't understand why people are so heated and committed to trying to take him down lol

Bacon wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 4:22 pm
I don't understand why people are so heated and committed to trying to take him down lol
not getting laid takes its toll for some

prince0gotham wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 5:50 am
Cilogy wrote:
It feels like a Fallout game in that way, in that the story is told to you instead of always making you an engaged participant. It makes the world feel incredibly empty, and perhaps that's intentional, but it also seems like a product of the post-Konami Kojima, where he doesn't have the backing of a big studio and budget.
I keep saying this, but this isn't a "small budget game". Uncharted 4 had a 50 mil budget, this is reported to have 80+ and TPP has relatively similar budget too. If something looks minimal or isolated/alienating/withholding, it's perhaps because he either doesn't care for that kind of diversity or isn't capable of creating it, and it's not the latter. Also look at the cast, the marketting, the work that went into the music, etc. And if something had a limiting effect on the outcome it's probably development time, and even that is something Kojima decided himself. If anything it'll probably end up a more "finished" game than TPP too.
Ah, then perhaps that's not the problem.

It's crazy how much this game reminds me of a Bethesda production.

I do still feel a sense of emptiness with the story and characters. All those missions you have to do to connect every station to the chiral network are superficially unique but ultimately . They all have little stories, but none of them seem very important. Or they're kinda poorly told.

Like the one where:
you have to reunite 2 lovers who thought the other was dead, when they're like literally a few miles away from each other? lol
Also, growing tired of the tedium of all the button presses. It's funny because I have fun while traversing the landscape and surviving, but get exhausted with getting through the menus and skipping through needless short cutscenes. It's like the game's effect is opposite to its intention in that way.

For me, that creates an even wider separation between the pretty, cinematic cutscenes, and the rather procedural and frustrating gameplay mechanics that make me ragequit.

Overall, I'm still inexplicable engaged with this. The lore and world-building is great and the weirdness is beautiful.

What really puzzles me is that the
married couple split a few hours later if you read your emails.

Cilogy wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 2:13 pm
prince0gotham wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 5:50 am
Cilogy wrote:
Ah, then perhaps that's not the problem.

It's crazy how much this game reminds me of a Bethesda production.

I do still feel a sense of emptiness with the story and characters. All those missions you have to do to connect every station to the chiral network are superficially unique but ultimately . They all have little stories, but none of them seem very important. Or they're kinda poorly told.

Like the one where:
you have to reunite 2 lovers who thought the other was dead, when they're like literally a few miles away from each other? lol
Also, growing tired of the tedium of all the button presses. It's funny because I have fun while traversing the landscape and surviving, but get exhausted with getting through the menus and skipping through needless short cutscenes. It's like the game's effect is opposite to its intention in that way.

For me, that creates an even wider separation between the pretty, cinematic cutscenes, and the rather procedural and frustrating gameplay mechanics that make me ragequit.

Overall, I'm still inexplicable engaged with this. The lore and world-building is great and the weirdness is beautiful.
Btw, you couldn't move while crouching until MGS4

So

I just felt like saying that

Honestly, the more I play this, the more I love it, and the more I get confused by the absolute vitriolic hate that's swarming the Internet right now over this thing.

im like 50 hours into this game (I took a lot of time off work to unwind since starting dec 1 my life gets waaaaay busier) and im in Ch8 cuz i spend most of my time building roads. somehow i get a dopamine rush knowing it'll be for other players to use.

the world, story, tone, all of it are really affecting too.

-Vader

Minor gadget spoiler if you havent reached ch 5
Building zip line towers in MULE zones is my shit

So story question for people ahead of me (end of Chapter 8):
How does Heartman have the images of the previous extinction entities?