Trailer #1

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I truly hope they're hiding a lot of the film's most exciting and visually striking setpieces. One of my biggest regrets in watching trailers was seeing the hallway fight in Inception's teaser. I would have loved to see that for the first timr in the theatre. That's why I probably won't be watching any more trailers for this one. The first one might have disappointed visually but let's be honest, I'm still there day one for Tenet for the fascinating concept and Nolan alone.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 4:50 am
This isn’t a new discovery. It has been discussed long ago 8-)
The glass is not that reflective. To me it looks like the other door opens as well. It happens very fast so play it back at a slower speed and you’ll see it clearly. A reflection on that glass would’ve had a much lower opacity, otherwise we would’ve seen other parts of the room reflected as well. Also, why there are no signs of JDW’s reflection?

And I don’t agree with the whole good guy/bad guy thing. JDW is literally forced in front of the “good guy” gate. (Or that’s how it is edited in the trailer).
:thumbup:

LelekPL wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 9:39 am
I truly hope they're hiding a lot of the film's most exciting and visually striking setpieces. One of my biggest regrets in watching trailers was seeing the hallway fight in Inception's teaser. I would have loved to see that for the first timr in the theatre. That's why I probably won't be watching any more trailers for this one. The first one might have disappointed visually but let's be honest, I'm still there day one for Tenet for the fascinating concept and Nolan alone.
Hoyte is on record saying that he composes less "intellectualy" for IMAX shots, and does so in a very visceral way, wich may be confused for simplistic composition, but its totally not, every movie deserves to be shot on a specific way, and not every film should have super complex compositions and be overly lit.

I wouldn't say my problem with some of the shots is too simple. For instance the train track shot which I disliked felt actually like trying to do too much. It's just that not much, other than the reverse jump off the building and similar plays on the theme of the film, really worked for me. But again, I think a lot of it is due to underwhelmingly presented locations and set design.

LelekPL wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 4:53 pm
I wouldn't say my problem with some of the shots is too simple. For instance the train track shot which I disliked felt actually like trying to do too much. It's just that not much, other than the reverse jump off the building and similar plays on the theme of the film, really worked for me. But again, I think a lot of it is due to underwhelmingly presented locations and set design.
I don't understand how the train scene was doing too much. The cinematography in that scene was on point, it wasn't being overdone by crazy angles or dolly shots. It just showed the protagonist JDW suffering, while showing the setting and creating an atmosphere for the audience. The cinematography also effectively communicated information to the audience. Showed the main character and his current state. Showed the place he was in. Also showed if he was going forwards or backwards in time (the train is going backwards, so I believe they are reversing time).

And another..

1:34
JDW has a yellow/brown box and a jacket..

1:38
JDW has another jacket and GRAY BOX (some controller)
Scene from movie at 2 times. Once forward, once backward?

Again, this was noticed by someone long time ago. His outfit doesn’t change. It’s just the lighting. Pay attention to the details of his outfit not just the color. Looks like he’s holding a metallic object when the car reverses back from the crash.

Finally got to see this in a theater. One thing that stood out to me were the additional audio cues that I simply never noticed when watching the trailer on youtube.

One thing that I don't think ever got talked here regarding the trailer, and it's personally the thing that has stuck out to me the most, is the bit at 1:24
with the guy in the SWAT uniform on the ground. Clearly there's some sort of time manipulation (backwards) thing going on, but it doesn't look the same as the shot of the car reversing. It looks like the guy on the ground is really struggling, almost like he's being time manipulated against his will??? Anyone else feel this? Plus, if we was using time reversal for his own benefit, I don't understand why he would be needing it here, if you get what I mean.

Especially if the shot after that in the actual movie is of JDW (and Pattinson) looking bewildered, and it's not just trailer editing. Judging by the location, it looks like JDW is actually reacting to the SWAT guy on the ground.

It is a horrifying shot.

One note: I think the sequence starts with JDW and RP entering the building with their briefcases, then they fo to that room with the rotating doors which leads to them walking out / the SWAT on the floor.
Wish I could so a “chronological” edit of the trailer.