Prologue

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
me watching all the butthurt in this thread

Angus wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 4:38 pm
I hate these lies about single-take movies. 1917 is not one long take. Why do they think we'll believe that over and over?

If something like that were actually achievable, Mendes wouldn't be the first one to do it. It would've been Kubrick or Hitchcock or Malick or, you know, one of the greats.
Real one-take movies do exist: Russian Ark being the prime example. Done in camera, no stitching or arbitrary breaks. Also, Hitchcock, in the Truffaut/Hitchcock book talks Rope and how it's an interesting exercise, but not necessarily the most conducive to telling a story.

I guess I'm the only one looking forward to 1917 : p. The marketing has been pretty shameless, but I'm hoping the actual movie does more of it's own thing.

Ruth wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 4:40 pm
Not really butthurt. I just think it's annoying. Is that really unreasonable?

Ruth wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 4:40 pm
#modlife

Angus wrote:
I hate these lies about single-take movies. 1917 is not one long take. Why do they think we'll believe that over and over?

If something like that were actually achievable, Mendes wouldn't be the first one to do it. It would've been Kubrick or Hitchcock or Malick or, you know, one of the greats.
To be fair, i dont think that it matters if its really one take, its impossible, at least as a feature film goes, but thats not the point, its a narrative deivce, like in Birdman, off course its not in one take for real, and you can tell, but its a great way to tell that particular story, and who knows, it may be a great way to tell this story aswell, i`ll know when i see it.

PD: i`ve looked and didnt see any promotional material claiming it was shot on a oner, they explicitly said it was "made to look like a oner".

The absolute butthurt on these forums over Sam Mendes is equal parts hilarious equal parts pathetic. This is why a lot of film twitter live making fun of Chris Nolan’s fanbase, they cant conceive of another director of a similar ilk of Nolan getting any success. If that’s not petty and childish I don’t know what is.

Sharkboy wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 2:06 am
The absolute butthurt on these forums over Sam Mendes is equal parts hilarious equal parts pathetic. This is why a lot of film twitter live making fun of Chris Nolan’s fanbase, they cant conceive of another director of a similar ilk of Nolan getting any success. If that’s not petty and childish I don’t know what is.
How dare you, sir!

A Borges man wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 4:09 pm
The issue is: Nolan is victim of his own monumental success. Film Twitter doesn't like him, and neither do the older film critics, and young people view him as conservative.

All these groups though, get suckered in by something like a fake-o long take-o.

Nolan will get recognition and respect when he is gone. It happens with some of the best. The list of filmmakers and films he has influenced just keeps getting longer.
Yeah, poor Christopher Nolan. Guy just can't catch a break...

Angus wrote:

u w0t m8