Teaser Trailer

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
what if the teaser was indeed a theater exlusive, and the first thing we get online is the start of some viral campaing, i just sort of see it happening this way.

Bacon wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 6:07 pm
Yeah literally no one is talking about this online except us (because we'd be talking about it anyway).
Ordinary people don't even know this movie exists, and that's the problem.

poplar wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 4:07 am
Bacon wrote:
Yeah literally no one is talking about this online except us (because we'd be talking about it anyway).
But ordinary people don't have to know about this a year in advance.

DHOPW42 wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 4:43 am
poplar wrote:
Bacon wrote:
But ordinary people don't have to know about this a year in advance.
But they know about Interstellar, Inception or Dunkirk.

blackColumn wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 7:31 am
If it was 'just a teaser for a film' people won't be bootlegging it and youtube won't be actively removing it. Seriously man, you can be arrested at the airport for having a cinema recording of this in any electronic device.

antovolk wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 6:22 pm
A friend on Twitter mentioned this - what if, for experiment's sake, they didn't do *any* online trailers/minimal online marketing for this...
I'm feeling this could actually be very likely. I feel Nolan could be daring enough to do it. It would bring us back to an older, almost more romantic era of films where you could only see film trailers in theaters. I'll go a step further and say there is even a possibility that we might only see posters in theaters and in physical places like bus stops, but not online. I know some people will be upset and will overreact, but I would applaud Nolan's courage if he did that. In current times, that would be very unique. Also way back in the 1980s and 1990s for example, there were a number of movies that had massive anticipation, but the anticipation was built up the old school way, through word of mouth. So I think this wouldn't harm Tenet's anticipation in my opinion. In fact, given the uniqueness of such an approach for current times, I feel it would actually amplify buzz and anticipation. It would be like viral marketing in real life...or as people back in the day called it, pure word of mouth.

poplar wrote:
Bacon wrote:
Because. it’s. a. year. out.

Marketing will start next year for gods sake.

And can we all stop this whole ‘trailer is not coming out’ business? When exactly has any teaser for a major film been theatrical only?

Sharkboy wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 6:32 am
And can we all stop this whole ‘trailer is not coming out’ business? When exactly has any teaser for a major film been theatrical only?
Way back in the day, when online trailers simply weren't a thing. The teaser is out, just not out officially online.

antovolk wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 6:22 pm
A friend on Twitter mentioned this - what if, for experiment's sake, they didn't do *any* online trailers/minimal online marketing for this...
After reading your post this quote of his came into mind:

”The pressure is on us as never before to give people a reason to get out of the house,”

Imaginatio wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 6:41 am
Sharkboy wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 6:32 am
Way back in the day, when online trailers simply weren't a thing. The teaser is out, just not out officially online.
That and...all indications are, from what I heard myself and what peeps like MyCocaine have been told also, it'll remain cinema exclusive. Now Nolan/WB may change their minds but at the moment no online release appears to be planned.

Now I certainly wouldn't mind, and would admire at least, an offline campaign like this but if the point really is about getting people out, make stuff like trailers actually on display and accessible when the word of mouth is doing its thing. Not weeks later when this is no longer a story. All the big online WOM for this teaser was upon its US drop two weeks ago, aside from my fanboying there's been nothing else on social media from the UK last night...and a couple scattered reactions from France and Germany.

Unless Nolan also wants to fight against impatience/the movie news hype cycles etc
Last edited by antovolk on August 15th, 2019, 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.