Ludwig Göransson will compose Tenet

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
i generally think Hoyte’s work is better suited to the style Nolan seems to be going for of late, but i agree. i wish Wally would come back - even if his clean, precise aesthetic doesn’t gel as well with Nolan’s more verite approach over his last few films

but what am i saying, The Prestige looks phenomenal

Nomis wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 3:58 pm
you serious or what
tbh i’m looking at it not from the angle of “i don’t like hoyte” but more so “do i want every great movie to be shot/scored by the same selection of like 5 cinematographers/composers?” because i see people always push for the same people (just look above to see someone want deakins and i adore him myself), and it’s a bit annoying. ofc legends collabing with legends is amazing, but if you’re excited to be surprised by left field casting choices, isn’t the idea of collabing w/different artists overall exciting at least every once in a while? i always trust people like nolan to find what they need the most, so if they go for someone new, it’s cool

Lol at the people who were so so adamant that only Zimmer could work on a Nolan film. Count me in as being very excited as to what a new sound could be like on a Nolan film, like the move from Pfister to Hoyte.

Ruth wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 4:11 pm
Nomis wrote:
you serious or what
tbh i’m looking at it not from the angle of “i don’t like hoyte” but more so “do i want every great movie to be shot/scored by the same selection of like 5 cinematographers/composers?” because i see people always push for the same people (just look above to see someone want deakins and i adore him myself), and it’s a bit annoying. ofc legends collabing with legends is amazing, but if you’re excited to be surprised by left field casting choices, isn’t the idea of collabing w/different artists overall exciting at least every once in a while? i always trust people like nolan to find what they need the most, so if they go for someone new, it’s cool
I mean, that's fair, but Hoyte has only worked with Nolan twice, and revolutionized the way Nolan was able to film on IMAX 70mm. Give the man a third movie at least before cutting him off imo. He's gotten better each time. It's like cutting off the partnership with Pfister after Insomnia.

My only issue is the insistent use of "camera-hooked-to-the-side-of-vehicle" shots in both films (it's less distracting in Dunkirk).

Hans has worked with Nolan six times, so I'm not against the idea of getting fresh blood there.

Ruth wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 4:11 pm
Nomis wrote:
you serious or what
Ah yes I get what you mean. So far, it's not as if it's a Spielberg/Kaminski combination though I mean lol they made fourteen films together. in a row but they look great though

I'm glad Van Hoytema and Nolan are collaborating again. What Bacon says is true, they're a wonderful combination.

I just love that they're shooting this all in large format film again. I wonder if they're going to push the limit of most used IMAX again or if it's a more dialogue heavy film if they'll downplay it.

I was still hoping Zimmer would be on board for this so of course I'm also a bit disappointed. However I will say that I'm really curious to hear how different this soundtrack will be from Nolan's recent films. It's kind of exciting.

I'm not too familiar with Ludwig's work, but I remember quite liking Black Panther's OST and finding it to be one of the better ones from MCU.

Innovator wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 4:57 pm
and finding it to be one of the better ones from MCU.
That's not saying much though

Sysmatic wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 4:58 pm
Innovator wrote:
For sure. I think Marvel soundtracks are overall very generic, but sound-wise, I think Black Panther's OST delivered something more unique and actually interesting. What Ludwig did with the drums immediately got my attention when I first watched the film.

Even though I would've preferred to have Zimmer on this, I'm hopeful that Ludwig will add another great score to Nolan's filmography.

Innovator wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 5:13 pm
Sysmatic wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 4:58 pm
Innovator wrote:
For sure. I think Marvel soundtracks are overall very generic, but sound-wise, I think Black Panther's OST delivered something more unique and actually interesting. What Ludwig did with the drums immediately got my attention when I first watched the film.

Even though I would've preferred to have Zimmer on this, I'm hopeful that Ludwig will add another great score to Nolan's filmography.
Yes. I do agree with you though. He brought something that sounded far more interesting to MCU's sound that all other have done

Kind of a weird choice and I'm definitely disappointed that Zimmer isn't back.

But hey, it could end up being amazing.