Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I believe Tenet will do well at the box office. (800Mil-1Bil or 1bil+ if remainder f the marketing done right)
The trailer itself has spawned many reaction videos on youtube + several other movie trailers done in tenet style. Almost all of the reaction vids Ive watched seem positive and people are intrigued after the trailer. They want to know what the hell is going on!!Which will lead them to the theater to find out . General public has already started considering it as an "event" movie I reckon. This is even without marketing coming into full action. If the remainder of the marketing is done right and the next trailer is as good as the previous trailer, Tenet will excel.

Sharkboy wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 5:19 am
I stopped trying to predict box office this far out when joker took a billion on an R rating with little to no action. It’s really impossible to predict and I think (especially for original properties) critical response is as relevant as ever.
WOW. 1B for 18+ movie. That is unqualified success. If I were Todd Phillips I would be real angry on those WB execs who denied 70mm film for the movie.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/joker ... 1202189137

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/248747 ... ango-users

This is the fandango most anticipated, Tenet isn't on it. This had me thinking, so Tenet youtube trailer views are already higher than No time to Die. I'm sure this has been addressed:

How are the "espionage" type films gonna compare to each other? Can Nolan beat Bond? Kingsman? ….how is Black Widow gonna do? (the views for that trailer are almost triple that of Tenet, but it was put up 3 weeks ago)
I feel like Bond is a franchise that has too much baggage, and I am very disappointed that it is a sequel to Spectre, a movie I really don't like.
Kingsman is stale, while the trailers have been fun, do people care about this franchise? The last one made 410 million, which is nothing to sneeze at, but I don't feel like anyone talks about these movies.
Black Widow being Marvel will make tons of money, the fact that lesser Marvel like Captain Marvel can make a billion means they are unstoppable. The movie looks really uninteresting, not a man of everyone doing a "mouse and squirrel" accent.

My opinions really don't matter: how is the general public going to receive these movies? which will get viewership and which wont? There will be winners and loser. Hoping Tenet will do well, it is objectively the most interesting looking out of the 4.

A Borges man wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 6:49 pm

This is the fandango most anticipated, Tenet isn't on it. This had me thinking, so Tenet youtube trailer views are already higher than No time to Die. I'm sure this has been addressed:

How are the "espionage" type films gonna compare to each other? Can Nolan beat Bond? Kingsman? ….how is Black Widow gonna do? (the views for that trailer are almost triple that of Tenet, but it was put up 3 weeks ago)
I feel like Bond is a franchise that has too much baggage, and I am very disappointed that it is a sequel to Spectre, a movie I really don't like.
Kingsman is stale, while the trailers have been fun, do people care about this franchise? The last one made 410 million, which is nothing to sneeze at, but I don't feel like anyone talks about these movies.
Black Widow being Marvel will make tons of money, the fact that lesser Marvel like Captain Marvel can make a billion means they are unstoppable. The movie looks really uninteresting, not a man of everyone doing a "mouse and squirrel" accent.

My opinions really don't matter: how is the general public going to receive these movies? which will get viewership and which wont? There will be winners and loser. Hoping Tenet will do well, it is objectively the most interesting looking out of the 4.
overthinking it a bit too much. People are going to be interested in this film more once they know what it's about, most of the films on that list are sequels, they already have a fanbase because the general audience know what they are getting into.

Tenet's potential lies in word of mouth and critical buzz as was the case with Inception.

Sharkboy wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 7:07 pm
A Borges man wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 6:49 pm

overthinking it a bit too much. People are going to be interested in this film more once they know what it's about, most of the films on that list are sequels, they already have a fanbase because the general audience know what they are getting into.

Tenet's potential lies in word of mouth and critical buzz as was the case with Inception.
Considering I posted on "Nolanfans" forum, "overthinking" is par for the course, NO? Otherwise what would the point be?

blackColumn wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 11:48 am
Sharkboy wrote:
I stopped trying to predict box office this far out when joker took a billion on an R rating with little to no action. It’s really impossible to predict and I think (especially for original properties) critical response is as relevant as ever.
WOW. 1B for 18+ movie. That is unqualified success. If I were Todd Phillips I would be real angry on those WB execs who denied 70mm film for the movie.

Joker made money because of memes. Tenet doesn’t seem to be making any buzz on the meme pages. I’m sticking with sub $600 mil prediction.

anikom15 wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 2:13 pm
blackColumn wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 11:48 am
Sharkboy wrote:

Joker made money because of memes. Tenet doesn’t seem to be making any buzz on the meme pages. I’m sticking with sub $600 mil prediction.
Back on the prediction game after you swore up and down Tenet was going to be a small indie like film ey? Good man.

Ace

Were we betting people, which we’re not, we’d suggest that Warner Bros is most likely to budge, given that Top Gun at the least has a heavy in-built audience, and on paper looks the less commercially risky.

That said, Top Gun Maverick is out a couple of weeks earlier in the US, on 26th June, so may have more flexibility. And also, Tenet already feels like it’s going to be very special indeed. It’s certainly right near the top of many people’s want to watch lists, ours included. Warner Bros has long since staked out the 17th as its global release day.

It seems untenable that two massive films aimed at roughly the same spot of the audience will converge on the same day.

Ace

Ace
In less than 24 hours, big movies like "A Quiet Place II" and "F9" have moved their release dates.