Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... a1328e76a3

"There are just three wholly original Hollywood flicks (not counting the $500-$700 million-likes of, be they original or adaptations, China’s The Mermaid, The Wandering Earth and Ne Zha) that have earned even $500 million worldwide between 2010 and 2019.

One of them was Alfonso Cuarón’s Gravity (my favorite movie of the decade, give or take Mad Max: Fury Road), which won him a Best Director Oscar and earned $724 million worldwide in late 2013. Ironically/fittingly, his next movie, Roma, ended up on Netflix (and won him another Best Director Oscar). The other two are Interstellar ($678 million in 2014) and Inception ($823 million in 2010), both of which came from Chris Nolan."

I'm really shocked that only 3 (4 if you count Dunkirk) original movies managed to earn over 500 million. Don't take the billion for granted! As I mentioned before, I predict 680-770 million. But if Tenet really grosses more than a billion, Nolan will be the King of Hollywood! Next to James Cameron.

Agree with every word you wrote. ^

Master Virgo wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 10:46 pm
Grace has a little bias against Nolan because she was upset that he left DC and DC has been losing to Marvel ever since. lol. Which is why she can't really look fairly at Interstellar and Dunkirk.

I'm not assuming this, she very clearly gave that up in one of her videos.
She liked Interstellar though, but absolutely hated Dunkirk from the get go, from the teaser to the film itself. And I think she got some hate for that which might have just made her dislike Nolan now.

So can we already make bets on what will be the next career move for Nolan if (WHEN) this doesn’t make one billion? Since the guy is a hack and his career is literally over.

Used car salesman? Handmade indie jeweller selling on etsy? A Younique representative hun?

I also feel like if this doesn’t make one billion dolares, the careers of Pattinson and Washington will also be over, since nobody will ever want to associate themselves with actors hailing from such a tragic commercial failure. What will become of them? Beauty influencers? Will they try to sell us skinny teas and Morphe eyeshadows?

I’m really worried about this movie.

He'll stick with his love of film. Probably become a projectionist at his local theater.

Ruth wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 3:18 pm
So can we already make bets on what will be the next career move for Nolan if (WHEN) this doesn’t make one billion? Since the guy is a hack and his career is literally over.

Used car salesman? Handmade indie jeweller selling on etsy? A Younique representative hun?

I also feel like if this doesn’t make one billion dolares, the careers of Pattinson and Washington will also be over, since nobody will ever want to associate themselves with actors hailing from such a tragic commercial failure. What will become of them? Beauty influencers? Will they try to sell us skinny teas and Morphe eyeshadows?

He`ll open an instagram account and be an influencer for an Earl Grey brand

Chris Nolan might start a tea mug brand.

But if any of them become insta gurus I just hope they don’t use too much facetune.

Ruth wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Or even worse.....
Nolan goes to Netflix :sick: :oops:

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 6:31 am
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... a1328e76a3

"There are just three wholly original Hollywood flicks (not counting the $500-$700 million-likes of, be they original or adaptations, China’s The Mermaid, The Wandering Earth and Ne Zha) that have earned even $500 million worldwide between 2010 and 2019.

One of them was Alfonso Cuarón’s Gravity (my favorite movie of the decade, give or take Mad Max: Fury Road), which won him a Best Director Oscar and earned $724 million worldwide in late 2013. Ironically/fittingly, his next movie, Roma, ended up on Netflix (and won him another Best Director Oscar). The other two are Interstellar ($678 million in 2014) and Inception ($823 million in 2010), both of which came from Chris Nolan."

I'm really shocked that only 3 (4 if you count Dunkirk) original movies managed to earn over 500 million. Don't take the billion for granted! As I mentioned before, I predict 680-770 million. But if Tenet really grosses more than a billion, Nolan will be the King of Hollywood! Next to James Cameron.
Impressive !

I stopped trying to predict box office this far out when joker took a billion on an R rating with little to no action. It’s really impossible to predict and I think (especially for original properties) critical response is as relevant as ever.

I do believe Nolan’s brand alone is now worth at least over £500m worldwide, and nothing outside a complete critical slaying is gonna stop that, it’s ability to reach a billion just depends on how it’s resonates with the masses. (Inception was and remains a small cultural touchstone of the 10s)