Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Sanchez wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 8:40 am
Grace Randolph is just wrong. Nolan doesn't give a shit about the Oscars, if he did he would have released Dunkirk in December. He's said over and over again that all he wants is to make movies that as many people as possible can enjoy. The only reason he started campaigning for awards was because of the critical reception he got after it released. For all we know it was WB who demanded him to campaign.
100% agree. He makes movies that he would want to see, and his main goal is to entertain the audience, not win a gold statue. He honestly couldn't care less.

In that interview from the other day just after he won the CBE medal from the Queen, he low-key just wanted to get back to editing Tenet haha.

Sanchez wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 8:40 am
Grace Randolph is just wrong. Nolan doesn't give a shit about the Oscars, if he did he would have released Dunkirk in December. He's said over and over again that all he wants is to make movies that as many people as possible can enjoy. The only reason he started campaigning for awards was because of the critical reception he got after it released. For all we know it was WB who demanded him to campaign.
I mean, if Nolan really didn't give a shit about the Oscars then he'd pull a George C. Scott and not show up to the ceremony when he's nominated. But I agree with your general point that he's making these movies to entertain first and foremost.

Nolan probably goes to the award shows so that he can hang out with his friends. They all get to drink together and catch up.

:D

blackColumn wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 4:07 pm
I already talked about Box office numbers.

They are comparable to TDKR, Interstellar, Dunkirk - all combined.

The Avengers series grossed many times Nolan's career in just seven years.

Avatar (original movie) grossed over $2B.

I can't even imagine Nolan making an original movie that crosses $2B.

Nolan struggled to meet studio execs expecations back in 2012 with a franchise movie.

And one more thing : A significant percentage of Nolan fans are under 18. He can't pull off a Box office victory with an adult movie. He is limited to PG13.

He didn't include a Got Talent star in Dunkirk because he was great actor. That guy had never acted in a feature film. Twas a financial decision.

All this and I have yet to scratch the surface.
Have I seen everything now or what.
Hasn't happened yet

You're either a troll or you don't know have any actual arguments so you're just spitting out random irrelevant shit. Or you've simply forgotten what we're discussing. Either way I should have stopped about 300 words ago because the way you ignore half the things I say at the same time as you keep contraticting yourself and also bring in elements that has nothing to do with the conversation, makes it impossible to argue with you.

hey inception made less money than toy story 3 made. are we right to assume nolan never even had any of that charm people claim he’s now losing????
Toy Story 3

Box Office $1B

Tomatometer 98

Metascore 92

Inception

Box Office $828M

Tomatometer 87

Metascore 74

Notably, both on rotten tomatoes and on metacritic, the average audience rating is much higher than the average critic rating. It means it appealed to average Joe more than the critics. Meanwhile, Toy Story 3 was praised more by critics than the average Joe.

Plus, earnings for the studio was much much higher for Toy Story 3 than what the boxoffice numbers suggest, thanks in large part to video games, action figures, theme parks (and all these continue to make money). All this was beyond the scope of inception which did not really have any remarkable characters, replaybility, or appeal to a larger age group.

So yes. We better steer clear of 'critical acclaim because that is off limits esoecially when you see 'dumb kids movies' getting better reviews than high concept movies. This buttresses the fact that execution is much more for critics than a mere idea.

Box office wise, there was never any competition.

Why is this dude still talking?

I think the Box Office returns in India alone are going to be record breaking. The worldwide gross is going to be massive and put this over a billion.

Oku
Billion is a stretch.

But just as with Dunkirk, it'll be fascinating to follow, because of its paradoxical elements: on the surface, Tenet seemingly hits every checkbox possible for it to be a hit (as much as a film by Mr. Nolan can, anyway, without stepping into quipping, CGI overload, etc. territory)...that is, except the elephant in the room.

We all know how China feels about a black actor being prominently featured on a blockbuster:
https://variety.com/2015/film/news/star ... 201653494/
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/d ... lack-actor

That's not even taking into account China's summer foreign film blackout policy, which means that Tenet will probably get a one-week September release that will further cripple it.

So expect it to struggle in China, do well domestically (U.S.) but as for everywhere else?

It's impossible at this stage to tell whether the black lead will be a dampener/turn-off for foreign (non-China) audiences, or actually turn out to be a trump-card/differentiator among the dozens of spy movies that we will be getting in the summer of 2020.