Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
phew 😅😅😅

This is indeed good news

Studios execs sure are not thrilled with box office performance of recent Nolan movies.

people still using the term "nolanite" in late 2019..., i really couldnt care less for her ill-informed opinions, i side with john campea on the Dunkirk matter, its a film that should have made little more than 80 million worldwide, a ww2 experimental thriller made half a billion and critics loved it, but it somehow "didnt work for Nolan", give me a break, or ten.

Edit: if studio executives were not impressed with his late box office numbers, Tenet wouldnt have been green lit with the budget it had.
Last edited by Nicolaslabra on December 21st, 2019, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You are right Nicolas. The box office performance was quite good for a WW2 movie.

But the studios don't care about that. They care about -

1) Okay this an original movie let's see how well it does.

2) Okay we are giving you an established IP (like Bond, Batman, Matrix), let's see how well it does.

Considering this we can safely assume that Inception's box office (since that an original movie) was where Nolan's career peaked.

Each original movie since then has performed less and less.

blackColumn wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 3:34 am
You are right Nicolas. The box office performance was quite good for a WW2 movie.

But the studios don't care about that. They care about -

1) Okay this an original movie let's see how well it does.

2) Okay we are giving you an established IP (like Bond, Batman, Matrix), let's see how well it does.

Considering this we can safely assume that Inception's box office (since that an original movie) was where Nolan's career peaked.

Each original movie since then has performed less and less.
Interstellar was released in November which would have taken a lot of box office away.

And Dunkirk is the highest grossing ww2 movie worldwide.

Grace Randolph is just wrong. Nolan doesn't give a shit about the Oscars, if he did he would have released Dunkirk in December. He's said over and over again that all he wants is to make movies that as many people as possible can enjoy. The only reason he started campaigning for awards was because of the critical reception he got after it released. For all we know it was WB who demanded him to campaign.

Regarding Interstellar I haven't heard anything about WB execs being unsatisfied with Interstellar numbers. Pretty sure she just made that up.

And people who can't recognize Dunkirk as being anything other than a massive financial success, have no idea what they're talking about. It's not like Inception is the metric for success and everything that ends up below it is a failure.

Also, I'll repeat myself: Dunkirk and Interstellar are both the #1 highest-grossing original live action movie from their year. WB will continue to throw money at Nolan for a long time.

Btw I hate myself for not ignoring this stupid debate, guess I really don't have a life.

Oku
WTF Sanchez why are you bothering to get into an argument with a person who will never even see your reply lol

You didn't need to read any further than the part where she called a film released in July that puts little to no emphasis on lead actors or story or overt-sentimentality, etc. "made to win awards".

You are taling about cinematic excellence in a thread meant to discuss box office.

In terms of pure box office numbers look at Avengers.

7.7B in 7 years.

Avengers movies secure insane budget even if they are garbage. Why? Because they perform exceptionally well on box office. Almost every Avengers movie has made more than the previous one or at least ~ as much as the last one.

So yes. I would like to see Tenet outperform Inception atleast.