Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
You have to take the steadily decreasing box office results of his original movies into consideration. So I definitely wouldn't expect any number more than what Inception made. I also doubt it will earn less than Dunkirk which war setting was a hard sell but with this trend it's not out of the realm of possibility either.

It all depends on what this movie will actually be about and the scope of the whole project. With the amount of information we have thus far it's impossible to say, really. I mean, even though unlikely, it could still end up being an Inception spin-off/sequel and actually contend for that billion dollar club. Or it can be his smallest movie since Prestige and earn very little. We just don't know enough yet.

Out of curiosity I checked my predictions for Dunkirk and they were pretty fucking spot on:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=18463&start=10
LelekPL wrote:
June 5th, 2016, 5:06 pm
Definitely less than Interstellar. Sci-fi movies > war movies at the box office

I'd say about 50 million opening weekend. And then it depends how good the film is. If it's amazing/great then it could reach just under 200 million domestically and 600 million worldwide.

Mission Impossible didn’t even make 800 mil with Tom Cruise and an established property. I can’t imagine this making more than 600.

Bacon wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 12:55 pm
CakeLessEgg wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 5:50 am
If the movie is as good as Inception, I predict
$400 M to $450 M Domestic.
$950 M to $1 B WorldWide.
No way. Especially considering the movies opening the weekend of and the week after to take away revenue.
Not necessarily first weekend determines the movie's total collection. Check out Greatest Showman & Jumanji 2 where the 2nd week collection was almost double the first week collection!!

anikom15 wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 2:25 pm
Mission Impossible didn’t even make 800 mil with Tom Cruise and an established property. I can’t imagine this making more than 600.
If nolan could make a war movie which collected 526 M $ with some unknown new comer teens & least fun elements, he can make an action spy thriller aggregate even more.

CakeLessEgg wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 4:21 pm
Bacon wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 12:55 pm
CakeLessEgg wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 5:50 am
If the movie is as good as Inception, I predict
$400 M to $450 M Domestic.
$950 M to $1 B WorldWide.
No way. Especially considering the movies opening the weekend of and the week after to take away revenue.
Not necessarily first weekend determines the movie's total collection. Check out Greatest Showman & Jumanji 2 where the 2nd week collection was almost double the first week collection!!
The second weekend won't be doubled because its surrounded by other big films. That's literally what I was saying

Forum Pro
anikom15 wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 2:25 pm
Fallout would’ve made a lot more money in my opinion it weren’t for the collapse of MoviePass.

It could prove to have some serious legs

Debicki certainly has them lol

My supposition: 120 millions budget, 220 millions locally, 640 millions internationally

So like in $800 million worldwide total box office?

If it's a high octane action thriller with the complexity of say Inception then yeah, I guess it could do such numbers. Nolan's films all do great BO-wise and if this really is more along the lines of Inception then I think it's going to be rather accessible.

The thing about not having someone of DiCaprio's star power in the lead is indeed another thing... But I think Nolan himself is a household enough name to get people into cinemas. The actors are all very talented and this could very well shoot them to stardom if they haven't already.

There’s no way an action movie shooting in seven countries will have a budget of 120m.

This will be more expensive than that.

-Vader