John David Washington as The Protagonist

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Janky Sam wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 5:00 pm
All of Nolan's leading men so far have been beardless, so I'm curious to see what JDW's look will be in the film.
Bale had some Pit-beard in TDKR through

The Special One wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 1:17 am
Different sites are giving slightly different information with regards to Washington being THE lead. Many are saying he's been cast in the film and some are saying he's one of the leads.
People are looking way too much into it, he's the first announced so regardless of which he's obviously either first or second billed, he will most likely be a main centrepiece of the movie.

I love this casting. Washington just oozes charisma. First time I saw his was in HBO's Ballers (which is a fun series btw, worth checking out) which he was very good in.

I hope he has indeed gotten the lead role, he's going to ace it. Whatever it's going to be lol
Last edited by Nomis on March 22nd, 2019, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janky Sam wrote:
All of Nolan's leading men so far have been beardless, so I'm curious to see what JDW's look will be in the film.
Aye. I wonder if it’ll be a period piece, modernistic, futuristic, or a blend of all three...

prowlercomesaround wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 5:43 pm
Janky Sam wrote:
Bale had some Pit-beard in TDKR through
Dom Cobb had a bit of a goatee too no?

Forum Pro
Assuming the story on 4Chan is true...

If JDW, a black man, is playing a scientist who goes to the 1950s and is tangled in a conspiracy involving a white woman, I wonder how the film would approach race.

As a Black man, I’m personally fed up with stories and projects involving black characters that feel like they have to tackle race. Race (and how people deal with and react to my own) doesn’t define my experience as a black man but of course with being who I am, I face certain perjudices in my everyday life because of it.

I remember reading an interview about True Detective S3 with Malhersala Ali (I butchered that). He revealed that the character of Wayne was for a white actor but he convinced Pizzolatto to let him play the part. Pizzolatto went back to rewrite script to reflect the character’s race but Ali encouraged him to not make race a central theme but to be aware of what black people go through on a daily basis.

I’m sure gay men are sick seeing projects with gay characters that are concerned with AIDS/HIV. Latinx people are sick of cartels, etc. Our stories are so much bigger.

I’ve been looking forward to Nolan casting a black lead since I was 11 years old, I’m 26 now and I’m crazy pumped for JDW. I just hope Nolan takes a page out of True Detective and not force race down my throat but acknowledges it.

(Sorry for the rant, I’m very sleepy and I’m sure this doesn’t make sense. I’m sure I’ll edit this in the AM)

I'm just sick of black people almost always in a relationship with other black people in cinema, and when they're not it's a plot point or heavily brought up within the movie (Get Out obviously comes to mind).

My mom is white and dad was black, my sister is bi-racial (darker, though) and her husband is white, their kid is white and one of his best girly friends is black, etc... I mean we don't always have to have people breed with their own race.

I'm done lol.

In terms of artistic collaborations, I feel like it’s totally understandable when black people (or other people of color) gravitate towards making art with other artists of their race because they’ve been always shut out (and continue to be so in varying degrees) of the very very mainstream entertainment business. So people prioritize lifting themselves up.

But I do agree not every story with a black person has to strongly associate all of his identity with race. It’s not something you can (or should) completely escape, but it’s really cool if people of varying races/ethnicities/backgrounds can get to play “neutral” characters. I think “Us” is a really good very recent example of being a “black” film that doesn’t tackle race. The story just happens to surround a black family.

Nolan handled it damn well in Interstellar. I can't remember a single line being about Romilly's or Murphs school principals race. I think it's better when race is not always brought up when there are either black, asian etc. actors playing either minor or supporting/leading roles in film.
Sure, it makes sense to do so if the story is either partially about it or if the film is set in times when racism was even more apparent than now (no, not saying it's not here now or milder because racism is still the worst) or like in True Detective 3 due to the setting it's not something that should be ignored imo.

I actually hope there won't be any commentary on race in this film but given that we still don't know what the hell it's about, there's not much to say on that subject.

John David Washington is apparently filming another movie right now. No idea when it started filming, but I'd say this probably means a May start is not happening and it will be June as originally stated. Or maybe his part starts later?

All we get in this article is that "production is currently underway in Greece.."

https://deadline.com/2019/04/john-david ... 202601009/