John David Washington as The Protagonist

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
BlairCo wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 7:58 pm
Slightly deviating off-topic, but who do you think was a bigger draw for Inception; Nolan or Leo?
I think it was a mix of the two, considering Nolan was coming hot off the success of The Dark Knight and Leo is one of the last genuine movie stars around.

Oku
Allstar wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 8:08 pm
Tourmie wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 8:03 pm
Allstar wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Christopher Nolan sells himself now, he doesn't need a DiCaprio anymore. Fionn Whitehead lead his last film with a huge budget and was a massive success. And even the "known" actors in Dunkirk were not draws.
Lots of people casually loyal to the Nolan brand, as well as many more hardcore Nolan fans, disliked Dunkirk intensely and found it empty and boring, closer to something like Roma than The Dark Knight. I think there will be an A-lister or two in this, probably playing a villain, but if there isn't, his brand could take a hit if this isn't a homerun that people quote and talk about all the time.
lol

It was still a massive success, Nolan will cast whoever he wants big star or not. But yeah, some of the braindead fanboys did not drool over Dunkirk.

Blair, Leo was the bigger draw at the time. Look at Interstellar's BO numbers in comparison.
Plenty of other factors to consider, like:

- Paramount distributing domestically instead of WB: Paramount being a smaller studio, having no experience marketing a film by Mr. Nolan, possibly (my speculation) not marketing Interstellar as enough as WB would have had WB had domestic rights

- Heist action movie with an ensemble cast reaching a wider audience than a slower, less action-packed sci-fi (a genre that turns off many audience members) movie that focuses on one leading man with a less flashy supporting ensemble

- Coming off The Dark Knight giving a huge boost to Inception, with people desperate for his next project, which they wanted to be Batman 3; Interstellar, on the other hand, was coming off The Dark Knight Rises, which was considered a disappointing film but also so thorough a conclusion that it left the general audience satisfied and with no giant curiosity as to his next project

There are other reasons that I can't think of off the top of my head, I'm sure.

William Blake wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 8:23 pm
I wonder if the role was written for Washington, or other black actors were considered, OR it was a wide open casting call and he just fit the bill. Seems like info is gonna start coming forward every week pretty much now.
Isn't that what we said when the release date dropped, then months of nothing? :P

Cilogy wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 11:20 pm
I mean, my only hope is that the fact he's the first announced cast member means he has a major role, and not just relegated to a side character like most peeps of color in Nolan films

#WakeUp #💯
I would have to believe it's a pretty significant role being that he was announced first. I don't recall what actor was announced for previous Nolan movies but I don't think an actor like McConaughey was announced 3rd or something like that. It would seem that making this kind of announcement means it's major.

Hell yeah this is exciting

Different sites are giving slightly different information with regards to Washington being THE lead. Many are saying he's been cast in the film and some are saying he's one of the leads.

bootsy wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 12:52 am
Cilogy wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 11:20 pm
I mean, my only hope is that the fact he's the first announced cast member means he has a major role, and not just relegated to a side character like most peeps of color in Nolan films

#WakeUp #💯
I would have to believe it's a pretty significant role being that he was announced first. I don't recall what actor was announced for previous Nolan movies but I don't think an actor like McConaughey was announced 3rd or something like that. It would seem that making this kind of announcement means it's major.
Leo was announced first for Inception and McC was announced first for Interstellar. He’s either the lead or a lead.

Ace

Oku wrote:
March 20th, 2019, 12:30 am
Allstar wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 8:08 pm
Blair, Leo was the bigger draw at the time. Look at Interstellar's BO numbers in comparison.
Plenty of other factors to consider, like:
- Paramount distributing domestically instead of WB: Paramount being a smaller studio, having no experience marketing a film by Mr. Nolan, possibly (my speculation) not marketing Interstellar as enough as WB would have had WB had domestic rights

- Heist action movie with an ensemble cast reaching a wider audience than a slower, less action-packed sci-fi (a genre that turns off many audience members) movie that focuses on one leading man with a less flashy supporting ensemble

- Coming off The Dark Knight giving a huge boost to Inception, with people desperate for his next project, which they wanted to be Batman 3; Interstellar, on the other hand, was coming off The Dark Knight Rises, which was considered a disappointing film but also so thorough a conclusion that it left the general audience satisfied and with no giant curiosity as to his next project
There are other reasons that I can't think of off the top of my head, I'm sure.
Interstellar also released in November instead of July.

All of Nolan's leading men so far have been beardless, so I'm curious to see what JDW's look will be in the film.