Tenet - Crew Discussion/Speculation

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I love that Kurland is back as the costume designer. His work on Inception and Dunkirk is great.

Nolan going with MM:FR and Dunkirk's visual effects supervisor instead of the one from Inception/Interstellar/TDK Trilogy surprises me. He must have really enjoyed working with him (granted the visual effects in Dunkirk were basically flawless).

Bacon wrote:
May 25th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Nolan going with MM:FR and Dunkirk's visual effects supervisor instead of the one from Inception/Interstellar/TDK Trilogy surprises me. He must have really enjoyed working with him (granted the visual effects in Dunkirk were basically flawless).
Except the smoke, but everything else was great.

What about the smoke?

Nomis wrote:
May 25th, 2019, 5:44 pm
What about the smoke?
It wasn't flawless in the visual effects department. It literally looked like CGI smoke, no matter which format I've seen the film in (70mm IMAX, digital cinema, Blu-ray, UHD...).

There are only two shots in particular that bother me with it, though.

That may be the only instances where the smoke is all CG.

IIRC they only extended it where it was necessary, not creating all-CG smoke but idk for sure.

I love that they're collaborating again, his work in Fury Road and Dunkirk was indeed flawless.

Right, that's what I'm talking about. When they used CG smoke, it was noticeable. Two shots in particular were most bothersome above the rest, but there you are. The rest of that film looks incredible.

Very cool to maintain any Mad Max ties, though. That has to stand for something.

Which shots are you actually talking about though.

Oku
WTF

There are so many more noticeably iffy CGI parts, and the smoke is what bothers you?? :D

Which smoke scenes are you talking about in particular?? I would like to look for myself.

I'll actually agree on some other CGI shots being ehh, involving planes at least. I'd have to think of some others, but I haven't seen the film in a while.

The two I'm referring to have to do with the same capsizing ship, but one is the sequence where you see it actually rotating downward starting at 1:10:59, and the other one is when it is sideways and they are swimming away from it at 1:22:45.

Here is a screenshot of the second instance.

If need be, I'll make GIFs... but I assume y'all own this film to see them and it will be a lot less painless.