Tenet - Crew Discussion/Speculation

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Nomis wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 8:23 am
It would be weird to have someone other than Zimmer scoring this film. If he can't fill in then I would be over the moon so happy with Hurwitz. Who, btw, never worked with anybody else besides Chazelle.
I personaly think Zimmer will scoring this new project, Nolan work under the radars since a long time now^^ so they can already have worked together since months on preparing the score, but seeing Nolan working with an other composer would be also great for me and refreshing too.

I just hope that Hoytema will reunite with him after what they achieved with Interstellar and Dunkirk.

Nomis wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 8:23 am
It would be weird to have someone other than Zimmer scoring this film. If he can't fill in then I would be over the moon so happy with Hurwitz. Who, btw, never worked with anybody else besides Chazelle.
Hurwitz and the moon go so well together!
Can't imgine Smith or Hoytema not returning. Also, is he going to only have Thomas and Myers with for production, like for Dunkirk? Seems like he's writing alone again.

Hasn't Nolan approached Zimmer very early on, on all his films he's scored with him? It gives Zimmer quite some time, too.

Ace
Nolan has said in interviews that because he doesn’t use temp music when editing, Zimmer has to start work months before he would usually on a film.
Last edited by Ace on March 22nd, 2019, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ah yeah that's right. And I believe Zimmer never scores with footage. Or at least starts only with knowledge of the script/having read it. Right?

You know, I remember hearing in interviews that like Zimmer was only told that [Interstellar] was about a father/daughter relationship and he just went from there, but I have a hard time believing he wasn't told anything else like the genre (sci-fi) or the film title or something. What are the odds that he made epic space sci-fi organ score on top of "This is about a father/daughter relationship"? lol

Or maybe he just had the nitty-gritty idea to come up with that little two-note bit, and maybe did it on piano or something. The rest could have spun off of that, I guess.

I believe that was only the S.T.A.Y. theme. That's what he came up with regarding the father/daughter relationship. I believe that after that he got to read the script.

Nomis wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 3:56 pm
I believe that was only the S.T.A.Y. theme. That's what he came up with regarding the father/daughter relationship. I believe that after that he got to read the script.
Got it. Yes, that's the one I was talking about when I said "two note thing" haha. That makes a lot more sense.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 3:51 pm
You know, I remember hearing in interviews that like Zimmer was only told that [Interstellar] was about a father/daughter relationship and he just went from there, but I have a hard time believing he wasn't told anything else like the genre (sci-fi) or the film title or something. What are the odds that he made epic space sci-fi organ score on top of "This is about a father/daughter relationship"? lol

Or maybe he just had the nitty-gritty idea to come up with that little two-note bit, and maybe did it on piano or something. The rest could have spun off of that, I guess.
Day One is literally named "Day One" because that is the first piece he wrote for the film before knowing the genre (or that it was a film for that matter). The original demo is played in the end credits and available on the Illuminated Star Projection album.

Got it. For some reason I thought those two tracks were part of the same overall song.