Tenet - Cast Discussion/Speculation

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Nicolaslabra wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 1:21 am
the IMAX 70 is lighter, but the engine sound goes through its carcass like it isn't even there
Doesn't a waterproof housing exist for IMAX cameras? Surely that would drown out most of the sound since it would have to be airtight. Of course, it couldn't be used for more intimate scenes, but it could potentially be a way of filming at least some dialogue in IMAX 70 mm

Well, I thought about that too but maybe it's hard to mount to rigs that way + who knows maybe they did some tests and it didn't workout.

But for dialogue it's not just about the noise apparently, the short "run time" of the negative (2-3 minutes) is part of the equation.

Pratham wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 3:42 am
He's gonna be in Avatar movies.
Oh is he? Awesome. I didn't know that. Good for him.

The last thing I saw him in was Z-Nation, which is a SyFy original series produced by The Asylum. :wtf:

... It's not a terrible show, honestly. It was just a shock to see him on there.

Maybe he’ll do a remake of Pink Floyd’s The Wall shot in IMAX and 65.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 9:38 am
Nicolaslabra wrote:
February 3rd, 2019, 1:21 am
to add to your post, the panavision camera is heavier because it is sound proofed, hence why nolan used for the dialogue scenes in Dunkirk, the IMAX 70 is lighter, but the engine sound goes through its carcass like it isn't even there, i get the feeling that Nolan will appreciate the silence of a digital camera, if at all or ever decides to switch.
Or go back to good ol' 35mm. Very good point about the difference between 5-perf 65mm and 15-perf 65mm IMAX. I always wondered: How loud can it be? It can't be that difficult to work with! - Until I watched First Man extras and it is LOUD!
This is one of the reasons why we'll never see a Nolan film shot entirely on IMAX. He's the only person who's capable of achieving that but his refusal of doing ADR will always prevent it from happening.

Now, the weight and size of the Panavision camera shouldn't be a problem (although they probably have to build special rigs for it) but Nolan likes to shoot handheld and they were shooting on very small boats on DUNKIRK.
Current digital IMAX camera is 6k resolution. One of these days they will have a digital IMAX camera with resolution at 12k or higher. At that point I think Nolan will be willing to switch. He has said he is willing to switch if they can match the quality of IMAX film. He doesn't believe it's happened yet.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 12:26 am
Current digital IMAX camera is 6k resolution. One of these days they will have a digital IMAX camera with resolution at 12k or higher. At that point I think Nolan will be willing to switch. He has said he is willing to switch if they can match the quality of IMAX film. He doesn't believe it's happened yet.
Well, forget the IMAX brand. The IMAX sequences in MI: Fallout were shot on the Panavision Millennium DXL which is capable of shooting at 8K resolution (If you haven't seen Fallout, the images looked absolutely gorgeous). And it had a similar shallow depth of field look that IMAX has.

If Nolan only cares about resolution then yes I see him switching to digital in the future since it's getting better and better (even the color science is getting better) But resolution is not everything. There's a certain quality film has - even it's flaws could be seen as an advantage (artistically) - grain is an example. I think he's going to support film as much as possible - I hope he does and I hope others continue to be inspired by his passion for shooting on film. We have enough directors who have moved to digital already.

About the IMAX Alexa 65... It would be really interesting if they stitched together three sensors and made a 15-perf 65mm digital camera although IMAX is focused on the 1.90:1 AR since most of their screens today use it.

The thing about IMAX "being 16K" or whatever is a total myth anyway

AhmadAli95 wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 10:06 am
redfirebird2008 wrote:
February 6th, 2019, 12:26 am
Well, forget the IMAX brand. The IMAX sequences in MI: Fallout were shot on the Panavision Millennium DXL which is capable of shooting at 8K resolution (If you haven't seen Fallout, the images looked absolutely gorgeous). And it had a similar shallow depth of field look that IMAX has.

If Nolan only cares about resolution then yes I see him switching to digital in the future since it's getting better and better (even the color science is getting better) But resolution is not everything. There's a certain quality film has - even it's flaws could be seen as an advantage (artistically) - grain is an example. I think he's going to support film as much as possible - I hope he does and I hope others continue to be inspired by his passion for shooting on film. We have enough directors who have moved to digital already.

About the IMAX Alexa 65... It would be really interesting if they stitched together three sensors and made a 15-perf 65mm digital camera although IMAX is focused on the 1.90:1 AR since most of their screens today use it.
That's interesting about the 8k camera for MI: Fallout. Sounds like IMAX needs to step up their game to match or beat it.

Don't talk about the K's... it's not just about that. No way Nolan will switch to another camera system just because it can resolve 16K.

Nolan often refers to the analog colours more than 'resolution' when he's describing film's superiority to digital