Tenet - Cast Discussion/Speculation

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
WelcometoNoLand wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 9:31 am
Just feels like Denzel is going get cast to me next week. Looked at his IMDB page doesn't seem to have any projects imminent this summer. There is one more older lead apparently. Chance to work with one of the best directors of our generation with your son? Feels inevitable. Not too mention Nolan probably would love to work with him and he knows he needs star power to sell an original movie like DiCaprio in Inception and McConaughey in Interstellar.

Feels too right to be wrong lol
Okay, but how often do relatives work together in roles? The Affleck's, Sutherland's, Gyllenhaal's, Wilson's, Bridges', Stiller's, Wayans', and Smith's immediately come to mind, but for whatever reason this one would feel a little more on-the-nose, yet I'm not sure why. Strangely enough, half of these pairings don't even have them as siblings or parent-child in the film itself. I don't think you would really be able to get around that here, but we'll see. I mean heck, maybe they do pair them up as father-son (and honestly I don't know why more films don't do this anyway, because there are a lot of relatives in Hollywood who have never worked with each other).

That would definitely be a call that I think we would have all dismissed once Denzel's son was cast at the part, so good call if it ends up being true. Of course, nobody would ever be against that choice either.

But you know, as I said before, it's hard to make casting calls when you know absolutely nothing about the film. Consider the movies In Time or Identity where essentially everybody appears to be the same age. There are story-based reasons why you might not have a father or older individual anyway, just keep that in mind is all. I won't speculate on actors/actresses till I get more of a scoop on what this film is supposed to contain (the best I can do is make my own wishes), so the guesses are a bit more educated. Landing on the original casting choices we have already heard would have just been sheer luck.

EDIT: I take it back, in Identity everyone just has the same birthday, but wasn't necessarily born in the same year.
Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on March 23rd, 2019, 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WelcometoNoLand wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 9:31 am
Just feels like Denzel is going get cast to me next week. Looked at his IMDB page doesn't seem to have any projects imminent this summer. There is one more older lead apparently. Chance to work with one of the best directors of our generation with your son? Feels inevitable. Not too mention Nolan probably would love to work with him and he knows he needs star power to sell an original movie like DiCaprio in Inception and McConaughey in Interstellar.

Feels too right to be wrong lol
It was announced not too long ago that he's directing a film called A Journal For Jordan starring Michael B. Jordan and starring in a Little Things. So I would say he's quite busy. If he is cast it could be a small role which I wouldn't complain about at all.

McC had very little box office value when he was cast in Interstellar.

And something people often forget about DiCaprio is that his career during the period between Titanic and Inception was very hit and miss, box office wise. He wasn't nearly the draw that he has been this decade. The Aviator, Gangs of New York, Blood Diamond, Body of Lies, Revolutionary Road all flopped.

And Inception and Interstellar both had merely decent openings, but terrific legs, which further showcases that their performances had more to do with wom, rather than star power.£

Master Virgo wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 3:07 am

And something people often forget about DiCaprio is that his career during the period between Titanic and Inception was very hit and miss, box office wise. He wasn't nearly the draw that he has been this decade. The Aviator, Gangs of New York, Blood Diamond, Body of Lies, Revolutionary Road all flopped.

And Inception and Interstellar both had merely decent openings, but terrific legs, which further showcases that their performances had more to do with wom, rather than star power.£
And those movies had as great legs as they had because Nolan and co made really great movies worth seeing more than once.

I doubt we're getting any big names at this point, right?

If Pattinson, Washington, and Debicki are the leads, I doubt we're going to hear anyone like Bale or Hardy or DiCaprio being cast.

Master Virgo wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 3:07 am

Yeah, sure, but the point is that bale, leo, mcc, all those were STARS. Big names.

Angus wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 6:32 pm

If Pattinson, Washington, and Debicki are the leads, I doubt we're going to hear anyone like Bale or Hardy or DiCaprio being cast.
Perhaps but you never know. The big names would be secrets to be held back for maximum effect when the time is right. I don’t think this is an Inception sequel, but if for example it was, they’d maybe want to keep Leo’s return a pleasant surprise no?

Angus wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Agreed, but may get a token old star/Cillian Murphy aside from Michael Caine. With three leads, that seems less likely though.

I imagine a secret role like Matt Damon's in Interstellar is likely. But it's nothing we'll hear about officially.