What is an "Event" film?

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Is it about a particular event in history or particular fictional event (say Arrival)? or something else or could be anything?

i think it refers to a big film, a blockbuster, grand in scale, I've heard the term used before for films with fit this criteria

I think in this case it's most likely a tentpole film. It's basically bound to have a huge budget and spectacle.

Not gonna be the Howard Hughes movie. That’ll have to wait but that’s alright. It’ll be 20 years since the Aviator by then. Nolan got 20 million plus 20% of the gross for his salary on Dunkirk. I wonder how it will compare this time.

- Big budget
- Grand scale
- Blockbuster
- Summer

With those in mind, I'd say we're guaranteed to get an action film in some manner. Action sequences will certainly be there.

I'm really wondering if this is Hell and Gone.

𝕕𝕖𝕟𝕚𝕞-𝕨𝕣𝕒𝕡𝕡𝕖𝕕 𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥𝕞𝕒𝕣𝕖𝕤

@unique_jenique
Follow Follow @unique_jenique
More
Christopher Nolan is the kind of man who is given a release date for a film that has no title, probably just a draft of a script, and no cast. If that’s not POWER than I don’t know what is. #ChristopherNolan #King

3:43 PM - 25 Jan 2019

Exhibitor Relations Co.

@ERCboxoffice
Follow Follow @ERCboxoffice
More
Not just a regular, untitled Christopher Nolan film. No. Uh-uh. He's earned "event" status. Thus, WB's UNTITLED CHRISTOPHER NOLAN EVENT FILM is set for July 17, 2020. That's box office respect, folks.

It's only out of curiosity: Can "BioShock" be considered as an "event film"?

Of course it would be an event film. Basically any well-known IP directed by Chris Nolan would be considered an event film.

But it most likely won't be any IP film. It will be another original.

An event movie is a film whose release itself is considered a major event, such as an anticipated sequel or a big budget film with state-of-the-art special effects or major stars generating considerable attention. An event movie is usually one of the highest-grossing box office movies in its year of release and becomes a part of popular culture. Steven Spielberg's 1975 movie Jaws is considered the first event movie.
Source: Wikipedia