TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Cilogy wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 3:05 pm
I think what people seem to be ignoring is the rather significant downgrade in quality of Nolan's films since circa 2001. The last few films showed that Nolan doesn't seem to care much about the artistic process or even creating a pleasant experience for the viewer.

The fact that people ignore this is largely what's contributed to a lot of Nolan's unwarranted and undeserved success.

I guess I can understand how people, because even I get excited to defecate sometimes.
Preach!

Angus wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 1:37 pm
Meh, Akira would be underwhelming at this point, in my opinion.

I just hope whatever the film is, it's something deep and thought provoking and not simple and basic. I want there to be analysis and debate among people for years to come. Nolan is the master at head-spinning, brain-rattling stuff. His story structures are incredible.

What I want: Memento, The Prestige, Inception, Interstellar
What I don't want: Following, Insomnia, TDK Trilogy, Dunkirk
Ironic, considering Katsuhiro Otomo's manga and film has baffled and entertained film lovers for decades, it's invoked just as much if not more discussion than anything Christopher Nolan has done before. It's also a pretty big conquest in asian cinema, from the outstanding score to the wonderful art. That being said it's nigh impossible to do in today's studio system, it would require a hefty budget, split across two films, be rated R and be entirely in Japanese (It's an inherently Japanese story) Point being; if you wanted head-spinning, brain-rattling stuff, that would have been your best bet, but I don't think even Nolan has the clout to make it the way it should be made.

I don't think I care to have Nolan pigeonhole himself as the 'head-spinning' 'twisty' director, it's familiar ground, he's far more than that, he's an actual lover of cinema, at least with Dunkirk he showed he could actually make something resembling pure cinema in todays day and age, without the need of a lot of talking heads and convoluted plotlines. That's what I want from him, something that pushes cinema, not treading an old path.

Nolan doing Akira has been a joke since 2015.

But on a serious note, insinuating that an Akira adaptation would be “underwhelming” for someone like Nolan is truly one of the more hilarious and baffling things I’ve read in this thread. And I’m a complete Nolan fangirl who’s more or less loved every film of his I’ve seen

Akira, whether it’s manga or anime we’re talking about, is more complex and thought provoking than a large part of Nolan’s filmography. That doesn’t make him a better or worse director/visionary.

Ruth wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 5:17 pm
Nolan doing Akira has been a joke since 2015.

But on a serious note, insinuating that an Akira adaptation would be “underwhelming” for someone like Nolan is truly one of the more hilarious and baffling things I’ve read in this thread. And I’m a complete Nolan fangirl who’s more or less loved every film of his I’ve seen

Akira, whether it’s manga or anime we’re talking about, is more complex and thought provoking than a large part of Nolan’s filmography. That doesn’t make him a better or worse director/visionary.
Oh I'm well aware of the joke, however deep inside on a purely filmic level I'd be fascinated to see his crew tackle the elements that constitute the work. Zimmer's take on Yamashirogumi's score, Nathan Crowley's version of Neo Tokyo lit by Hoytema on a technical level it would be a dream to work on and such a challenge. It's why I feel Denis Villeneuve is working his best life right now and rapidly tackling projects we all want him to do. Nolan is a tad more unpredictable with his choices.

@Sharkboy, that wasn’t aimed at you, but Angus, who took my initial shitpost seriously

I'm aware of how deep and awesome Akira is.

I meant "underwhelming" in terms of the annoumcement not being that shocking, because people have been talking about it since 2015. Everyone would be like, "Well yeah, duh, of course he would do Akira."

Angus wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 6:49 pm

I meant "underwhelming" in terms of the annoumcement not being that shocking, because people have been talking about it since 2015. Everyone would be like, "Well yeah, duh, of course he would do Akira."
so...you care more about the shock of the announcement than the quality of the film?

Sharkboy wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 7:31 pm
Angus wrote:

so...you care more about the shock of the announcement than the quality of the film?
Lol, sure, okay.

MyCocaine wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 11:44 am
Angus wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 11:03 am
So, just for the record, is it not cool to speculate what the film could be? We can't daydream and spitball ideas, even if not everyone agrees? We're just supposed to sit here and talk about an unknown, untitled movie? Sounds pretty boring for an online community. :?
A little silence in your case would be great.

Lets try not to bombard these threads with endless questions and speculation.

Sincerely, everyone.
:clap:
Bacon wrote:
February 1st, 2019, 2:23 pm
Newbies, MyCocaine is hostile all the time. Don't let him get to you lol.
He's right though. Substance over speculation.

Angus wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 8:10 pm
Sharkboy wrote:
February 4th, 2019, 7:31 pm
Angus wrote:

Lol, sure, okay.
No im genuinely asking because what you are saying isn't making any real sense.