TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
AhmadAli95 wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 4:34 pm
A lot us are not fortunate enough to have access to 70mm IMAX screens, not even 1.43 Laser. So I think Digital IMAX is great considering the only other option available (to me at least) is standard 2K - Not even Dolby Cinema which I’ve heard is incredible.

I’ve seen Dunkirk 3 times in Digital IMAX (Xenon) and it was a wonderful experience. Yes, the aspect ratio shift is probably not as effective as the real deal but man does it look good when the images fill every inch of that screen.
I understand, and I'm not trying to poo-poo on your parade as well. I just haven't benefited from a Nolan film in LieMAX compared to a regular screen. That's my experience, and this is of course subjective.

As I implied before as well, I personally don't think Nolan should be having the Blu-ray and UHD discs change aspect ratios. There is a specific level of immersion that those moments are meant for, and IMO they only belong on the 15/70mm screens. That amount of clarity and periphery working in conjunction with the audio setup cannot be replicated anywhere else but there, and to me trying to recreate it in a "half-assed" way is disservicing to the point that I think it's better without it.

Of course, again... please understand this is my opinion only, and it might not be anybody else's at all.

Oh, no I totally understand your point of view. Just wanted to say that even if you don’t have a 70mm IMAX near by, you’ll still have a great movie experience.
Around the time Dunkirk came out, I was obsessing over the whole format thing. I plans or I should say fantasies of travelling somewhere far just to get “the real experience” but that’s not fealistic.

Now the second part of your post I don’t agree with :D
You can always take things out if you want - not quite easy but still.
And of course you cannot replicate any theater experience 100%
The equipment is different, so many things are different. Most people don’t have film projectors and access to film prints nor do they have $60K priced projectors and 200+ GB DCPs. Audio is another story.

Angus wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 9:45 pm
I'm in Ohio and there are no true IMAX theaters around me. It's such a bummer. It's all LieMAX.
If you can ever save up for a short vacation in NYC, I’d HIGHLY recommend it for going to the Lincoln Square AMC IMAX. You won’t regret it I promise you. Save your money if at all feasible. It’s mesmerizing. A trip worth taking. I won’t presume your financial situation but if you can do it one day, don’t hesitate! If you’re a Nolan fan, it’s essential imho.

Nolan62 wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 8:48 am
So these informations about his next film are wrong but is this statement true or not ?, I mean what he said during his speech for the annual UK Cinema Association conference in London today :https://www.screendaily.com/news/christ ... 11.article
Nolan did not reveal any details about his new project or where it will shoot. Warner Bros will release it on July 17, 2020, the same point in the year Dunkirk was released in 2017.
“what we never want to forget is the idea of showmanship…whatever the economic realities are, whatever costs need to be cut or corners need to be cut”.
“My memories are not just of the films themselves and the amazing adventures unfolding on screen; they’re also of the sense of occasion, of being a young child entering an architectural space that’s so much bigger and grander than myself; the thrill of the curtains opening, moving to enlarge the screen for a widescreen presentation.
“Above all,” he continued, ”my enduring memories are of scale, of the size of screen, the idea of seeing people and places that are larger than life, potentially overwhelming but engrossing and involving.”
He said that a lot of the responsibility to do that lies with filmmakers, “to use the big canvas that [exhibitors] can supply us, and tell stories in an exciting way, and bring fresh ideas, fresh takes on existing genres and new genres – inventing new genres.”
This gets me so hyped I can’t stand it.

William Blake wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 5:55 pm
Nolan62 wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 8:48 am
So these informations about his next film are wrong but is this statement true or not ?, I mean what he said during his speech for the annual UK Cinema Association conference in London today :https://www.screendaily.com/news/christ ... 11.article
Nolan did not reveal any details about his new project or where it will shoot. Warner Bros will release it on July 17, 2020, the same point in the year Dunkirk was released in 2017.
“what we never want to forget is the idea of showmanship…whatever the economic realities are, whatever costs need to be cut or corners need to be cut”.
“My memories are not just of the films themselves and the amazing adventures unfolding on screen; they’re also of the sense of occasion, of being a young child entering an architectural space that’s so much bigger and grander than myself; the thrill of the curtains opening, moving to enlarge the screen for a widescreen presentation.
“Above all,” he continued, ”my enduring memories are of scale, of the size of screen, the idea of seeing people and places that are larger than life, potentially overwhelming but engrossing and involving.”
He said that a lot of the responsibility to do that lies with filmmakers, “to use the big canvas that [exhibitors] can supply us, and tell stories in an exciting way, and bring fresh ideas, fresh takes on existing genres and new genres – inventing new genres.”
This gets me so hyped I can’t stand it.
Oh yess me too !! Especially the last quote. All these declarations show that this project will be an another step, and will be insane. From now on, watching a Christopher Nolan movie at home means nothing :lol:

And it also means something else, that he'll start shooting soon, real concrete news are coming !

AhmadAli95 wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Oh, no I totally understand your point of view. Just wanted to say that even if you don’t have a 70mm IMAX near by, you’ll still have a great movie experience.
Around the time Dunkirk came out, I was obsessing over the whole format thing. I plans or I should say fantasies of travelling somewhere far just to get “the real experience” but that’s not fealistic.
I hope to goodness you are able to do this someday, and that you get a good seat for it to boot. Being in the front corner isn't have you waited all that time for!

Now the second part of your post I don’t agree with :D
You can always take things out if you want - not quite easy but still.
And of course you cannot replicate any theater experience 100%
The equipment is different, so many things are different. Most people don’t have film projectors and access to film prints nor do they have $60K priced projectors and 200+ GB DCPs. Audio is another story.
This is the best argument for keeping it as is. Can't put info back into the picture, but you can take it out.

And you're right, it takes a long time. I custom-crop every IMAX shot. Center-cropping is not good enough for the majority of shots, IMO.

All I meant by the home vs. theater thing though was that Nolan's reason for shooting in IMAX is for the immersion experience. Since you don't get that at home, I don't really know what the justification is for doing it at home is all.

I meant to add earlier, I haven't even bothered going to a LieMAX. :lol:

Angus wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 7:35 pm
I meant to add earlier, I haven't even bothered going to a LieMAX. :lol:

Fuck, this false information has juste gave me even more the wishe to know what his next project is. Like I needed that.

I think LieMAX has its place. It does a better job preserving the color and so forth of the IMAX photography. I saw Interstellar in both LieMAX and at a theater brand PLF. Theater brand PLF in this case had a projector with pretty faded color/contrast. It just didn't look right. The wormhole sequence in particular looked pretty bad. Thankfully this show was on Discount Tuesday and I only paid $5 for the ticket when it would normally be about $14.

I certainly agree there is a huge difference between real IMAX and LieMAX, enough of a difference that I later regretted not making travel plans for Interstellar. Ponied up some pretty serious money for a weekend to see Dunkirk several times in 1.43 Laser IMAX on the biggest screen in Texas. It was worth every penny along with 10 hours of driving roundtrip. The hotel and gasoline cost wasn't cheap, lol