TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Angus wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 5:35 pm
I don't think a western is a great idea. Maybe with a smaller budget like Hostiles and The Homesman and so on. But not for an event film that's definitely a major tentpole for WB. That's risky as hell. Especially with how shakey WB is right now with their DC stuff. They'd be having panic attacks if they greenlit a $200 million Western, no matter who the director is. It could be directed by Jesus.

To be clear, I love westerns. It might be my favorite genre. I just don't think any big budget ones can/will do well in 2020, unless it's Tarantino and he has his special stamp on it, and even then, Hateful Eight underperformed. Otherwise you end up getting The Lone Ranger, Cowboys & Aliens, Jonah Hex, Wild Wild West, A Million Ways to Die in the West, even The Dark Tower kind of.
Who says it has to be a $200m budget? Dunkirk was $100m and WB definitely viewed it as an event film. Gave it the same release date as TDK/Inception/TDKR.

Arguably the Western genre is as popular as it's been in ages right now thanks to franchises like Red Dead Redemption and Westworld. And I would love to see Nolan try that one day, just imagine the battle sequences.

But I'm just a firm believer that he won't go back in time again for this next one.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 6:07 pm
Angus wrote:
I don't think a western is a great idea. Maybe with a smaller budget like Hostiles and The Homesman and so on. But not for an event film that's definitely a major tentpole for WB. That's risky as hell. Especially with how shakey WB is right now with their DC stuff. They'd be having panic attacks if they greenlit a $200 million Western, no matter who the director is. It could be directed by Jesus.

To be clear, I love westerns. It might be my favorite genre. I just don't think any big budget ones can/will do well in 2020, unless it's Tarantino and he has his special stamp on it, and even then, Hateful Eight underperformed. Otherwise you end up getting The Lone Ranger, Cowboys & Aliens, Jonah Hex, Wild Wild West, A Million Ways to Die in the West, even The Dark Tower kind of.
Who says it has to be a $200m budget? Dunkirk was $100m and WB definitely viewed it as an event film. Gave it the same release date as TDK/Inception/TDKR.
I remember him saying part of the reason that was was because it barely had any American a list actors, it had mostly unknowns. I don’t know how much American actors actually demand but if it balloons the budget, would Warner Bros. and Nolan consider casting unknowns again? Idk my guess is Dunkirk was a one time thing but we’ll see

I don't think getting big name actors affects the budget if those actors genuinely want to do the movie. In the past five years we've had some cheaply made westerns starring Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor, Tommy Lee Jones, Meryl Streep, Woody Harrelson, Liam Hemsworth, Kiefer Sutherland, John Travolta, Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, Kevin Costner, Dakota Fanning, Guy Pearce... None of these movies were made for over $15 million, lol.

Angus wrote:

Looks like I'm wrong on the bond thing. And I hope I'm wrong about the western thing. I hate westerns. Very intrigued to see what big IMAX movie Nolan has up his sleeve this time.

Angus wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 7:26 pm
I don't think getting big name actors affects the budget if those actors genuinely want to do the movie. In the past five years we've had some cheaply made westerns starring Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor, Tommy Lee Jones, Meryl Streep, Woody Harrelson, Liam Hemsworth, Kiefer Sutherland, John Travolta, Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, Kevin Costner, Dakota Fanning, Guy Pearce... None of these movies were made for over $15 million, lol.
Lol it rarely works that way, top actors aren't going to take a pay cut 'just because it's a Nolan film', lets not over-fanboy ourselves.

Sharkboy wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 9:16 pm
Angus wrote:
Lol it rarely works that way, top actors aren't going to take a pay cut 'just because it's a Nolan film', lets not over-fanboy ourselves.
Yeah, they would. It would actually be dumb not to take a salary cut and go for points instead.

Yeah, the point is, Nolan wouldn't be making a $20 million western. That's not a tentpole event film for WB. He's making something with a huge budget... therefore, a western nakes no sense.

I'd love to be wrong, like I said, I love westerns. But I also want the movie to succeed, haha. Big westerns rarely set the world on fire anymore. BUT -- Nolan could be the guy to change that, it's possible.

Tourmie wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 10:34 pm
Sharkboy wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 9:16 pm
Angus wrote:
Yeah, they would. It would actually be dumb not to take a salary cut and go for points instead.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic here.

Angus wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 11:18 pm
Yeah, the point is, Nolan wouldn't be making a $20 million western. That's not a tentpole event film for WB. He's making something with a huge budget... therefore, a western nakes no sense.

I'd love to be wrong, like I said, I love westerns. But I also want the movie to succeed, haha. Big westerns rarely set the world on fire anymore. BUT -- Nolan could be the guy to change that, it's possible.
There have been several tentpole Westerns.