TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
speedy117 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 6:44 pm
Vader182 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 6:35 pm
Ace wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 2:30 pm
Collider’s Jeff Sneider reports that a nine-figure marketing campaign is being planned for the movie’s marketing and press blitz as well.

https://collider.com/christopher-nolan ... ce=twitter
Dunkirk's was around "9 figures" too. I'm sure this'll be huge, though.

-Vader
What exactly is 9 figure marketing?
I guess it means that the marketing costs at least another $100 million, but I have no idea how much the marketing budget for a Hollywood blockbuster movie is. Anyone care to elaborate?

DHOPW42 wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 4:22 am
speedy117 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 6:44 pm
Vader182 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Dunkirk's was around "9 figures" too. I'm sure this'll be huge, though.

-Vader
What exactly is 9 figure marketing?
I guess it means that the marketing costs at least another $100 million, but I have no idea how much the marketing budget for a Hollywood blockbuster movie is. Anyone care to elaborate?
Extremely rough rule of thumb is that marketing costs are just under a films production costs, so if a film is to be profitable with distribution and marketing factored in, just double the production costs. So for Tenet to make money it will at least have to hit the 500 million (possibly 6).

When you take into account that Nolan managed to net 500 million worldwide for a war movie with subject matter only Europeans (mainly us brits) know about, with unknown leads and very little in terms of plot. Tenet isn’t as big of a risk as some would imagine.

Sharkboy wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 4:45 am
DHOPW42 wrote:
Extremely rough rule of thumb is that marketing costs are just under a films production costs, so if a film is to be profitable with distribution and marketing factored in, just double the production costs. So for Tenet to make money it will at least have to hit the 500 million (possibly 6).

When you take into account that Nolan managed to net 500 million worldwide for a war movie with subject matter only Europeans (mainly us brits) know about, with unknown leads and very little in terms of plot. Tenet isn’t as big of a risk as some would imagine.
Thank you! I always wondered why people say that for a $250 million movie it needs to make almost twice that to break even.

BobCobb wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 3:55 am
Idk if anyone said this, but what if those scenes in the ruins from the Eagle Mountain set are from a future where the world is already destroyed?
I think it just might be.

DHOPW42 wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 5:57 am
Sharkboy wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 4:45 am
DHOPW42 wrote:

Thank you! I always wondered why people say that for a $250 million movie it needs to make almost twice that to break even.
That's fucking crazy to think about...$100+ million for marketing. It seems they really want to make a huge blockbuster that has a big affect in cinema for the next decade.

BobCobb wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 3:55 am
Idk if anyone said this, but what if those scenes in the ruins from the Eagle Mountain set are from a future where the world is already destroyed?
someone did mention it and makes a lot of sense.
It was a huge 10,000-acre set
Last edited by Nomis on January 11th, 2020, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: use spoiler tags

I am dying for any new information

First of all: I'm not in team Inception-sequel anymore, so I don't believe in my new theory either, but it may show you that the presence of Caine doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility they share the same universe.

So Caine can be Miles in this movie too. I know what the trailer suggests, but all we see is a suit and that he is eating at a restaurant, nothing really big. At one point the spies may have a mission to act as extractors to get closer to Branagh, so they can hire them as an actual extractor (Pattinson) and an architect (JDW), and he perhaps meets with Prof Miles who is a consultant as he knows everything about architecture, even in dreams. But even it is the case, I don't think dream sharing will play a big part, so we won't think about it being an Inception-sequel, so this won't make Tenet to be "just a sequel", it will be original as hell.

But, once more, I don't think they're related. :)

quervo wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 11:46 am
First of all: I'm not in team Inception-sequel anymore, so I don't believe in my new theory either, but it may show you that the presence of Caine doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility they share the same universe.

So Caine can be Miles in this movie too. I know what the trailer suggests, but all we see is a suit and that he is eating at a restaurant, nothing really big. At one point the spies may have a mission to act as extractors to get closer to Branagh, so they can hire them as an actual extractor (Pattinson) and an architect (JDW), and he perhaps meets with Prof Miles who is a consultant as he knows everything about architecture, even in dreams. But even it is the case, I don't think dream sharing will play a big part, so we won't think about it being an Inception-sequel, so this won't make Tenet to be "just a sequel", it will be original as hell.

But, once more, I don't think they're related. :)
Nolan is not one for having a “shared universe” but you never know of course. Now, I really do hope Tenet is its own thing and not connected to anything in any way. We need more originals and he is one of the few writer/directors who can give us that. I want Tenet unrelated to his other work.

If it happens to be related then I’ve prepared my mind for it even though it won’t be my preference. It’ll be good because it’s Nolan; quality work.

Former Hockey player Sean Avery for some reason has a role in "Tenet".
He was on a recent podcast and briefly talks about his time on set. He doesn't give any details, though he mentions Blackhawk helicopters so he likely was on the Desert Mountain set. He does have complementary things to say about Nolan and JDW's work ethic on set.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... mpt=uo%3D4

The Nolan part starts at 52 minute mark.