TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Pratham wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 12:07 am
Lincoln wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 11:41 pm
What if this flops?
fancy an early screening, mr. lincoln?
i heard he sticks to streaming form home nowdays

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 11:15 am
What do you guys think of TENET's award season chances? Being a huge-budget sci-fi action blockbuster, I think we will wait more years for Nolan finally winning his Oscar :(((
Nolan needs to be an actors' director for this to happen, even though he have a talented cast here I don't see happening with this film. Technical nominations yeah (and if it receives Fury Road love-level then director nomination will come too)

Lincoln wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 2:36 am
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 11:15 am
What do you guys think of TENET's award season chances? Being a huge-budget sci-fi action blockbuster, I think we will wait more years for Nolan finally winning his Oscar :(((
Nolan needs to be an actors' director for this to happen, even though he have a talented cast here I don't see happening with this film. Technical nominations yeah (and if it receives Fury Road love-level then director nomination will come too)
Howard Hughes biopic’s screenplay sitting in a drawer collecting dust.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 8:52 pm
So I found this but I’m not sure whether to take it with a grain of salt or what but maybe you all know more about it. The person says that there’s a reason why Tenet has been so secretive and something related to the budget too. I’m skeptical but interesting to read some of his tweets.

Here is the link:https://twitter.com/ImAFilmEditor/statu ... 17664?s=20
This movie will never be released for home media. It should be IMAX exclusive release, and then Nolan will destroy all copies of the film.

TeddyBlass wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 9:27 pm
The secrecy around this film is higher than normal I suppose. If it’s not an Inception universe movie, what else could the big secret be?
Good question, some of the reasons I can imagine:
- Nolan and WB wanted to experiment with a more "extreme" form of theatrical marketing - actually, this is what I believe
- It is an Inception sequel of some sorts
- It is related to... another existing source

My honest guess is that the "secrecy" around the film isn't bigger than with any of his previous films - we've heard stories of how actors were locked inside Nolan's office while they read the script for Inception/TDKR/Interstellar, etc., and the joke that Nolan would send a sniper after the actors with a red laser point resting on their foreheads while doing interviews is as old as these forums, I think :D The only thing that's different - and really, this is the only thing so far - is the fact that they haven't released the teaser trailer online. The vague plot description of Inception ("An action-adventure film set within the architecture of the mind") was just as irritatingly mysterious up until the point they released the first poster or the full theatrical trailer, if I remember correctly. So I'm not at all sure the secrecy surrounding Tenet is that exceptional.

If that editor guy's tweet is trying to hint at the fact that this is, indeed, a film set in the Inception universe, and this somehow justifies the horrendous budget despite all the secrecy, then I'm a bit lost. If the reason behind WB giving Nolan 225 million dollars is the fact that the film is a sequel to Inception, then... wouldn't it be logical to promote the film as such from the get go? The reasoning behind this is that they wouldn't give him that much money on an original film, because it is too much of a risk, but they're willing to spend that much on an Inception sequel. So they're confident that people would flood theatres if it turned out it was an Inception sequel. Yet, in this hypothetical scenario, studio execs decided not to market this as an Inception sequel - kind of defeating the whole purpose of giving 225 million dollars to Nolan only on the grounds of the film being an Inception sequel.
Last edited by DHOPW42 on November 29th, 2019, 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

DHOPW42 wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 6:30 am
TeddyBlass wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 9:27 pm
The secrecy around this film is higher than normal I suppose. If it’s not an Inception universe movie, what else could the big secret be?
Good question, some of the reason's I can imagine:
- Nolan and WB wanted to experiment with a more "extreme" form of theatrical marketing - actually, this is what I believe
- It is an Inception sequel of some sorts
- It is related to... another existing source

My honest guess is that the "secrecy" around the film isn't bigger than with any of his previous films - we've heard stories of how actors were locked inside Nolan's office while they read the script for Inception/TDKR/Interstellar, etc., and the joke that Nolan would send a sniper after the actors with a red laser point resting on their foreheads while doing interviews is as old as these forums, I think :D The only thing that's different - and really, this is the only thing so far - is the fact that they haven't released the teaser trailer online. The vague plot description of Inception ("An action-adventure film set within the architecture of the mind") was just as irritatingly mysterious up until the point they released the first poster or the full theatrical trailer, if I remember correctly. So I'm not at all sure the secrecy surrounding Tenet is that exceptional.

If that editor guy's tweet is trying to hint at the fact that this is, indeed, a film set in the Inception universe, and this somehow justifies the horrendous budget despite all the secrecy, then I'm a bit lost. If the reason behind WB giving Nolan 225 million dollars is the fact that the film is a sequel to Inception, then... wouldn't it be logical to promote the film as such from the get go? The reasoning behind this is that they wouldn't give him that much money on an original film, because it is too much of a risk, but they're willing to spend that much on an Inception sequel. So they're confident that people would flood theatres if it turned out it was an Inception sequel. Yet, in this hypothetical scenario, studio execs decided not to marketing this as an Inception sequel - kind of defeating the whole purpose of giving 225 million dollars to Nolan only on the grounds of the film being an Inception sequel.
That’s a very good reasoning on your part considering how most news have implied that this film is an original one (which is what I definitely want). It would defeat the purpose for the budget indeed. Which probably leaves us with two reasons: experimenting with heavy marketing like you said or a film set on some universe like it happened with Split but this is hard for me to believe because I remember that Nolan once said he is not interested in building something like that. And in fact, I’m skeptical about a sequel too because he wanted to explore the world of Inception in a video game and said this about a sequel “As for [movie] sequels, it’s not something I want to say no to, but it’s not something I’ve given a lot of thought about”. So who knows what will happen but I’m betting on an original movie.

Correct me if I’m wrong though.

I’m not assuming it’s an Inception sequel when I pose that question either. I’m trying to see what people would speculate.

TeddyBlass wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 10:42 am
I’m not assuming it’s an Inception sequel when I pose that question either. I’m trying to see what people would speculate.
Yeah, long story short: I think they're simply experimenting with a new marketing strategy.

Why would Cobb's father-in-law be the only Inception character Nolan brings back though? Or is Caine playing a different character? Or do people believe the entire Inception cast in in this and they've managed to keep it under wraps?