TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I definitely think it might be a smaller movie. Not necessarily action oriented. Something like The Prestige but with a bigger production.

And before it's argued that it's an "event" film... smaller movies can be event films. The Hateful Eight - and really anything by Tarantino - is an event film.

Event film =/= big action blockbuster.

If it's a Western, I hope it's something grand like How the West Was Won from 1962. The scale was in how it was filmed, with 70mm, Cinerama, and the insane cast (James Stewart, John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Gregory Peck, etc.)

Imagine a Western spanning several years starring Christian Bale, Leonardo DiCaprio, Hugh Jackman, Matthew McConaughey, and Tom Hardy. :shock:

Stark 07 wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 1:27 pm
In view of the release date, filming should begin around May-June, like Dunkirk. But there was still no request for extras, whereas this had been the case in February 2016 for Dunkirk. So we can be sure that the film will have very few extras ... personally I believe even more in a western.
that's very interesting, I too could see that.

Stark 07 wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 1:27 pm
In view of the release date, filming should begin around May-June, like Dunkirk. But there was still no request for extras, whereas this had been the case in February 2016 for Dunkirk. So we can be sure that the film will have very few extras ... personally I believe even more in a western.
I don’t think we should compare it to Dunkirk. Dunkirk needed a SHITLOAD of extras lol

Angus wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 1:55 pm
I definitely think it might be a smaller movie. Not necessarily action oriented. Something like The Prestige but with a bigger production.

And before it's argued that it's an "event" film... smaller movies can be event films. The Hateful Eight - and really anything by Tarantino - is an event film.

The fact it’s in mid July means it’s a blockbuster. Look at all of his other July releases. Prestige was an October release, Interstellar was November.

Big action set pieces are a given. Could be a Western but augmented by some other dynamics. I think the reveal will be something we don’t expect though imho. :gonf:

Nah, the release date means nothing. Nolan loves the summer season and after Paramount/Warner forced him to send out FYC screeners of Interstellar that leaked online while the film was still in theaters I doubt he'll ever go near the Oscar season ever again.

Recent films prove that a release date means nothing in terms of what a movie is and how successful it will be.

Blockbusters do not all have to be summer movies. Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Avatar, Star Wars, Avengers, Aquaman.

Summer movies do not all have to be blockbusters. Ocean's 8, Sicario 2, BlacKkKlansman.

In fact, looking at the entirety of Summer 2018, only 7 were really "traditional" blockbusters for all of May, June, July, and August.

Deadpool 2
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Incredibles 2
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Skyscraper
Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Oku
I want him to try a winter release again, but instead of the first week of November like with Interstellar, try third week of December = the winter equivalent of the third week of July, his favorite spot.

- smaller opening weekend, but longer legs into January and February
- better box office performance in China
- best possible roll for its Oscar chances

In theory, he could get the both of both worlds, more box office and more awards--in theory, of course.

William Blake wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 4:07 pm
Angus wrote:

The fact it’s in mid July means it’s a blockbuster. Look at all of his other July releases. Prestige was an October release, Interstellar was November.

Big action set pieces are a given. Could be a Western but augmented by some other dynamics. I think the reveal will be something we don’t expect though imho. :gonf:
yeah, I agree with you, Nolan's next film will be something that none of us here predicted.

Has Michael Caine already in?

The Special One wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 6:34 pm
William Blake wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 4:07 pm
Angus wrote:

yeah, I agree with you, Nolan's next film will be something that none of us here predicted.
Absolutely, it will be that.

Chris Corbould about him in the last EMPIRE magazine issue :
But if you look at Interstellar and Dunkirk, that's him coming out of his comfort zone. He doesn't stick to a safe formula in a safe genre. He goes up to outer space, he's in the Second World War. I think he's exploring his own boundaries.
I love this sentence. Nothing can stop this man, forget Dunkirk, it will be something even more special, daring and ambitious. And something completely different from what he's made until now.