Favorite Dunkirk Quotes

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Posts: 2590
Joined: January 2016
Location: The Netherlands
Mahiya_Borden wrote:The whole ending depresses me
George and Gibson dead
Alex wrecked with guilt
Tommy knows the war is not over and will probably be sent back
Farrier captured
Collins shamed
Shivering Soldier knows he killed George
Dawson and son having to live with a young friend's death
:(
And I read a negative review somewhere with a quote like "and despite everything that happened, the film still had a happy ending".

Don't think so.

Posts: 13
Joined: July 2017
Willem wrote:
Mahiya_Borden wrote:The whole ending depresses me
George and Gibson dead
Alex wrecked with guilt
Tommy knows the war is not over and will probably be sent back
Farrier captured
Collins shamed
Shivering Soldier knows he killed George
Dawson and son having to live with a young friend's death
:(
And I read a negative review somewhere with a quote like "and despite everything that happened, the film still had a happy ending".

Don't think so.
I cannot fathom how anyone who actually watched this film could think that the ending was 'happy'... unless we're talking about the shallowest possible analysis

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3319
Joined: May 2012
Pratham wrote:when farrier sighed
I liked that too.

A simple sigh says so much about how frustrated he is that they just keep coming, no matter how many he takes down.

Posts: 361
Joined: August 2016
Location: You'll find me in the region of the summer stars✶*¨*✫
MyCocaine wrote:
okungnyo wrote:
"Dad! Dad, he got him!"
I loved Rylance's response. Adorable and almost childlike.
What was his response? That's one line I haven't been able to make out either time I've seen it!

Posts: 2590
Joined: January 2016
Location: The Netherlands
disseldor wrote:
Willem wrote:
Mahiya_Borden wrote:The whole ending depresses me
George and Gibson dead
Alex wrecked with guilt
Tommy knows the war is not over and will probably be sent back
Farrier captured
Collins shamed
Shivering Soldier knows he killed George
Dawson and son having to live with a young friend's death
:(
And I read a negative review somewhere with a quote like "and despite everything that happened, the film still had a happy ending".

Don't think so.
I cannot fathom how anyone who actually watched this film could think that the ending was 'happy'... unless we're talking about the shallowest possible analysis
Agreed.

Although, there's also a reflection of hope in the ending. It's not like you leave the theater totally depressed. "The Dunkirk spirit" is very much present in the film, despite the almost desperate tone.

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3319
Joined: May 2012
Nik82 wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:
okungnyo wrote:
"Dad! Dad, he got him!"
I loved Rylance's response. Adorable and almost childlike.
What was his response? That's one line I haven't been able to make out either time I've seen it!
He chuckles wholeheartedly.

Posts: 25730
Joined: June 2011
He goes "yea yea!!" while chuckling and smiling. It cracked me up in the theatre both viewings (in a good way).

Posts: 65
Joined: July 2017
Location: last aisle seat on the right
"Is he a coward, Mr. Dawson?"

"He is shell-shocked, George. He is not himself. He may never be himself again."

Posts: 2590
Joined: January 2016
Location: The Netherlands
Bacon wrote:He goes "yea yea!!" while chuckling and smiling. It cracked me up in the theatre both viewings (in a good way).
I loved this. Such a happy little moment

Posts: 384
Joined: June 2011
Location: Slovakia
Willem wrote:
"Be careful down there."
"He's dead, mate."
...
"So be bloody careful with him."

So sad.
^That

Plus this (cant remember exact words):
"I hear ya Peter, I hear ya!"

"Maybe he is alive, maybe"
Last edited by Collector03601 on July 26th, 2017, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply