How many times have you seen Dunkirk?

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Going for my second viewing and first (ever) IMAX on Wednesday!

mosh89 wrote:
m4st4 wrote:Zero, thanks for asking. :(

Finally going in four days! And hopefully I'm going to watch it two more times afterwards.
Oh dear i hope it will meet you expectations:)
I have none, it's for the best that way. ;)

okungnyo wrote:What do you mean?

Please do share your thoughts!!
Were you asking me? I mean I've seen this once and I ALREADY think it's amazing, but people are talking about their 2nd viewings making them like this even MORE so I'm kinda wary lol. I don't want to go a little cray or something

Obviously I'm not being serious but you know, we've already got MyCocaine on here and it's hilarious. :lol:

Oku
Oh, I thought you meant that you disagreed with Mahiya_Borden and that you were itching to go into why the film wasn't a 10/10.

But yeah, second viewing, highly recommend. :twothumbsup:

Once - with my husband, opening night in 70mm IMAX.

I plan to see it again this week, solo, in some kind of lesser IMAX at my local cinema.

My 85-yr old inlaws are seeing it tomorrow, only because I have been jabbering about it for a year, showing them BTS pics of Harry, trailers, etc. This is absolutely not the kind of film they would ever go see - war, suspense, thriller. They like musicals, comedies, etc. They are going to see it even though my mother-in-law usually won't go to any cinemas at all because she is claustrophobic. I could not talk her out of it. I think I will never hear the end of it after she sees Alex's personality (mother-in-law is more expecting the Frank Sinatra character in From Here to Eternity).
Last edited by dormouse7 on July 23rd, 2017, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

I feel like I was too nervous because I was so afraid for the characters (especially Tommy) on my 1st viewing but on my second viewing since I knew who lived and died, I was able to focus on the many details I missed.

@Ruth: You need to re-watch it. It's so much better.

4 times and I agree it keeps getting better. It does not have the exposition issue to hurt repeat viewings like Inception or Interstellar.

1. LieMAX 1.9 - Sound was not clear enough, missed 90% of the dialogue...confused by story structure.
2. Laser IMAX 1.43 - Incredible experience. Sound was much better. Still a bit confused by the structure.
3. Laser IMAX 1.43 - Incredible experience once again. Becoming more comfortable with the structure.
4. Laser IMAX 1.43 - The best experience by far. Finally felt like I really followed along with each story.

Just the once so far (regular DCP is all that's available to me). Will do again in two or three weeks.

Oku
dormouse7 wrote:Once - with my husband, opening night in 70mm IMAX.

I plan to see it again this week, solo, in some kind of lesser IMAX at my local cinema.

My 85-yr old inlaws are seeing it tomorrow, only because I have been jabbering about it for a year, showing them BTS pics of Harry, trailers, etc. This is absolutely not the kind of film they would ever go see - war, suspense, thriller. They like musicals, comedies, etc. They are going to see it even though my mother-in-law usually won't go to any cinemas at all because she is claustrophobic. I could not talk her out of it. I think I am going to never hear the end of it after she sees Alex's personality (mother-in-law is more expecting the Frank Sinatra character in From Here to Eternity).
1. Why were you jabbering about it to the in-laws for a year?

2. Why are they going to see it even though she is claustrophobic?

3. Why could you not talk her out of it???

4. Why will you never hear the end of it????
Mahiya_Borden wrote:

I feel like I was too nervous because I was so afraid for the characters (especially Tommy) on my 1st viewing but on my second viewing since I knew who lived and died, I was able to focus on the many details I missed.

@Ruth: You need to re-watch it. It's so much better.
redfirebird2008 wrote:4 times and I agree it keeps getting better. It does not have the exposition issue to hurt repeat viewings like Inception or Interstellar.

1. LieMAX 1.9 - Sound was not clear enough, missed 90% of the dialogue...confused by story structure.
2. Laser IMAX 1.43 - Incredible experience. Sound was much better. Still a bit confused by the structure.
3. Laser IMAX 1.43 - Incredible experience once again. Becoming more comfortable with the structure.
4. Laser IMAX 1.43 - The best experience by far. Finally felt like I really followed along with each story.
I know, right, y'all?!

It boggles my mind to see people complaining that this movie has no repeat value.

Like, are they joking??

They have no idea what they're missing, no idea just how much the film opens up on a second viewing.

1. Why were you jabbering about it to the in-laws for a year?
Because my husband didn't want to hear about it.
2. Why are they going to see it even though she is claustrophobic?
"For me" because I am excited about the film.
3. Why could you not talk her out of it???
She is near-deaf.
4. Why will you never hear the end of it????
That's just how she is.