Dunkirk Official Reviews Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Re: Grace, I didn't watch the review but I read the comments. Most people were like WTF because apparently she said Zimmer doesn't have memorable scores. I'm... before I got into movies, like for real, I already knew who Zimmer was by name. I was like fifteen, btw. Gladiator, Prince of Egypt and Lion King, to name a few, were scores that stuck with me. I can't take anything she says seriously if she says something so stupid.

Doesn't she just mean for this particular film?

And a score doesn't have to be particularly memorable, it just needs to capture the mood for the scene at the time... which in this film, it totally does, over and over again.

The music from the scenes after the boys swim back to shore is super haunting. Reminds me a lot of this score from Sinister 2. So very creepy:

EDIT: Found the Dunkirk OST track. Compare and you'll see what I mean:

Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on July 22nd, 2017, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So I see that Rex Reed and David Edelstein are literally the only top critics with "rotten" reviews; I'm not surprised but why are these guys so out of touch with reality? :facepalm:

Anyway, the BFCA/Critics Choice score is at a very healthy 90 now. Also not surprised to see that climb as there was probably only a handful of scores being counted before when it was down in the low 80's. All this combined with apparent strong box office/public appeal is good signs for awards season. :twothumbsup:

Rex Reed surprisingly gave it 3/4 yet he still posted it as rotten

thrice wrote:Rex Reed surprisingly gave it 3/4 yet he still posted it as rotten
Yeah.. that's dumb. 3/4 on observer but 2/4 on RT :eh:

Feels more like he made a typo on his web though :lol:

Good to see Kermode enjoyed it.

lcbaseball22 wrote:
Anyway, the BFCA/Critics Choice score is at a very healthy 90 now. Also not surprised to see that climb as there was probably only a handful of scores being counted before when it was down in the low 80's. All this combined with apparent strong box office/public appeal is good signs for awards season. :twothumbsup:
Great. It was looking like it would be in the 90's on MC and 70's on BFCA, which would be one of the most bizarre things ever given the fact BFCA is more lenient most of the time. :lol:

Sysmatic wrote:
thrice wrote:Rex Reed surprisingly gave it 3/4 yet he still posted it as rotten
Yeah.. that's dumb. 3/4 on observer but 2/4 on RT :eh:

Feels more like he made a typo on his web though :lol:
3/4 is 75%

Why on MC is 50%??

There's so much stupid an unnecessary stuff in this movie, I don't even know where to begin. I'm still kinda shocked it doesn't have more negative reviews. This was Worse than Dark Knight Rises on so many levels.