Dunkirk Official Reviews Discussion

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
redfirebird2008 wrote:
Spert wrote:
I think St Louis Post Dispatch gave it a positive but not a high rating
Just read it. Probably will be rated around 70 by the MC editors.
St Louis Post Dispatch:

This is all not to say “Dunkirk” isn’t a solid, well-crafted war movie, but it does fall short of Nolan’s own sky-high standards. It’s also the first Nolan movie where I walked out of the theater without having to do at least a little bit of thinking.

“Dunkirk” is a faithful and well-crafted retelling of an overlooked, but crucial, event in World War II, which is enough to make it worth your time. But it isn’t anything beyond that; which, I must confess, is a bit disappointing.

:( :( :( :( :(

The things to think about in film is the actual filmmaking and portrayals

Plot and twists are very superficial most of the time and I hate when people go around acting like Inception and Memento are some super deep films just because of the concept and twists.

Spert wrote:The things to think about in film is the actual filmmaking and portrayals

Plot and twists are very superficial most of the time and I hate when people go around acting like Inception and Memento are some super deep films just because of the concept and twists.
That is not the only reason people might think they have depth to them. There are a lot of ideas in those two movies, not just crazy structure.

Memento really makes you appreciate how fragile the human mind is. Imagine going through life in the same way Leonard does. There are people out there who actually live the reality of that movie. We all take it for granted that we will remember very basic things in our lives, but you think about people with Leonard's condition or other disorders (Alzheimers, dementia, etc). Very very sad and also very scary to think it could happen to any of us.

They're just making stuff up at this point.

Those 6 critics are living in solitude. At least the husband was joined by his wife.

95%
113/6

Some more RT top critics (Newsday and Toronto Sun) gave this great scores

Looks like MC is back up to 97... not sure if anyone already mentioned this and I just missed it because I was at work. :gonf:

Master Virgo wrote:Is this one of those films that you are going to watch 17 times and then come here and tell us about how it doesn't have any replay value just like you did with Inception?£
Oh Christ. Never said Inception doesn't have any replay value.

And no. Compared to Inception this doesn't have half the replay value.

Going to watch it a second time and then that's it. Maybe some other time with people that haven't seen it. But I'm not gonna go out of my way to watch it.

95%
115/6

Miles wrote:95%
115/6

So with how many drags he's taken with every new fresh rating....how high is Mr. Murphy in your pic now? ;)