Dunkirk Nolan Fans Member Reviews (NFometer)

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
i can’t believe how good this film is

Fuck. Just typed an entire god damn message and my Internet crapped out when I sent the post. Of course, this site couldn't retain my saved message.

I'll be short this time, because I don't have the energy. Saw it a second time in 70mm IMAX and was more emotionally impacted. Yay. My score still stands though at 8.7/10. Now I have a question (sorry, really bummed I spent twenty minutes on a post that got wiped away):
Does Cillian Murphy's character notice a stretcher at the trainyard that possibly has George in it, and realizes that he had killed him?
EDIT: Oh, I was going to mention that I had no audio issues. Sorry, Vader.
Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on July 21st, 2017, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

bootsy wrote:
ChristNolan wrote:Just got out.

Holy shit.
Bacon and I were looking for you after the 6pm showing but we missed you. :cry:
I know, apologies for that :( . We ran really late (a wreck on the highway of course), got there at 8:25ish and had to make a mad dash for the entrance.
Michaelf2225 wrote:i can’t believe how good this film is
ikr. I'll have more time tomorrow to properly break my thoughts down

I loved it. Such good filming. Everything was so well done.

TehBatGetsBraked wrote:
bootsy wrote:
ChristNolan wrote:Just got out.

Holy shit.
Bacon and I were looking for you after the 6pm showing but we missed you. :cry:
were you hanging out with bacon lol??
Yeah I met him and his friends tonight. He's a great guy. Glad I met him.

ChristNolan wrote:
I know, apologies for that :( . We ran really late (a wreck on the highway of course), got there at 8:25ish and had to make a mad dash for the entrance.
We waited downstairs by the ticket office. Did you have on a Captain America shirt on? Just curious.

Michaelf2225 wrote:i can’t believe how good this film is
Any issues with the sound/hearing dialogue?

bootsy wrote:
ChristNolan wrote:
We waited downstairs by the ticket office. Did you have on a Captain America shirt on? Just curious.
Nah a white Alabama shirt with light red shorts. I probably passed you guys on the way in if you were still around lol

I'm going to use my old rating format that I adapted from a site I found once; it involves rating from 1 to 10 in five main categories then adding up and doubling the score to get a total out of 100. Here goes...

Acting- 8

I felt in some regards it was kind of like 'The Tree of Life' in the sense that you have veteran actors who are somewhat wasted, not given many lines or much to do...however that being said they made the most of it and it was pretty amazing to see what Cillian, Branagh, Hardy, and Rylance could do with just a look, their body language, or a few lines. The young actors played their parts quite well too I'd say.

Script- 9

I love a great "based on a true story" film and even better when it's peppered with signature Nolan themes and style. If you've seen at least a handful of Nolan's films you probably understand what I'm talking about, no need to explain there plus it gets into spoiler territory. Again there was not much dialogue but very well structured I thought. I appreciated a fresh take on the war genre especially.

Visuals- 9

A bit chaotic at times but I understand that was probably intentional. I'm not personally a fan of shaky cam but the slow pans were fantastic and there are many memorable shots throughout, beginning with the very opening scene. I could certainly see an Oscar nomination for Hoyte. He certainly managed to make it an immersive and frightening experience without blood and guts.

Sound- 9

As one has come to expect with Zimmer/Nolan collaborations the score was a bit relentless but I think it really served it's purpose here to heighten the tension, if the immersive visuals were not already enough. Overall I thought the sound editing was quite brilliant but there was still some unintelligible dialogue at times which is something else I've unfortunately come to expect with Nolan's films. Not a big deal, I'll just watch it again with subtitles when it comes out on DVD.

Editing- 7.5

Perhaps I'm alone with my opinion here but I thought the editing was the most lacking element and where the film could be most improved. As already mentioned I love the structure but I did not get an accurate sense of the timeline because I felt it was just a little too jumpy and some segments were too long while others were too short. As someone else already mentioned the time on the beach just felt like a long day not a whole week, unless I missed some key transitions...

So let's see what that amounts to...

8+9+9+9+7.5 = 42.5

42.5*2 = 85 :thumbup:
Last edited by lcbaseball22 on July 21st, 2017, 1:27 am, edited 7 times in total.

ChristNolan wrote:
bootsy wrote:
ChristNolan wrote:
Nah a white Alabama shirt with light red shorts. I probably passed you guys on the way in if you were still around lol
I think I might have seen you but can't remember. :lol: I had a Cubs hat on and Bacon had a TDKR Batman logo shirt on.