Dunkirk Nolan Fans Member Reviews (NFometer)

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
yeah and right towards the end when Brannagh lets the other guys get into the boat and sail off and then stays for the french

when they get in it's all bright but then the POV shot from the boat is all dark and he's like a dark sillhouette there

Yup.

As for The Tide scene, it is in different times hence why Colonel Winnants shot are brighter than those of the soldiers trying to get on the water.
As for Commander Bolton's last scene, it already has a blue look when he says he stays. When Colonel Winnant salutes a bit of time has passed, I think the ship had to turn around, so it's not illogical that it's a bit darker when he salutes.

The ever changing sky is not a problem to me, that's just Dutch/Belgian/North Sea weather lol. The color of the water however, that's a slight pity but understandable given to the conditions they had to shoot some scenes in.

9.5/10 for me (after two viewings). Second viewing was so much better, as I was able to make more connections on the timelines and hear the dialogue much better.

prince0gotham wrote:Anyone else think the color grading was really inconsistent?
It was really inconsistent and constantly changing but that's probably because they were constantly juggling different lighting conditions and had to adjust the grading for of them to try to blend them together.

LelekPL wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:Update

Click on each member's name to read their review.£
You didn't update prince0gotham and RIFA's scores, though. I'm not sure if they were serious in their 4/10 scores but it would be good not seeing my name rating a Nolan film the lowest :P
Pretty sure they were both kidding.

EDIT: Prince confirmed to be kidding.

Vader what even is your score? Haven't you seen it like 6 times?

prince0gotham wrote:the lesbian art dealer agrees with me so it's true
:lol:

Honestly change my rating to 10/10, I'm not a snob to shy away from "perfect" rating

i feel like I've come back in time to when i was young and stupid and had a movie blog and rated 6 movies out of 10 "10/10" :lol:

Bacon wrote:Vader what even is your score? Haven't you seen it like 6 times?

and...

soon!

;)

-Vader

So in a nice turn of events, I saw this wonderful film twice in one day yesterday. Went to see it with my friend in the morning and then my father wanted to see it at night so I went with him. So, after 3 viewings, here is my drunk review.

Goddam this movie is a masterpiece. Christopher Nolan has crafted one of the finest film experiences I've ever witnessed. This is his best directorial work yet, and I'd say one of the greatest war movies ever made. I love how it doesn't even attempt to glorify the war. There are no heroic speeches, this film only shows us the horrors of war. This was just one early battle in WW2 so it gives you perspective. I was exhausted by the evacuation of Dunkirk, and yet there were still five or six years of fighting left for these kids that were my age. The main character seems to realize this. And he knows how likely it is that either he or his peers will die before the fighting is over.

I've seen it on IMAX 70mm each time and each time I'm amazed at the size of the picture and the immersiveness of it. This is a different beast from Nolan in one of his most stylized efforts yet. We see some of his longest takes ever in this film as he lets the events of the battle and the large format cameras do the talking. Any complaint about lack of characters in this film is complete bullshit, if you can't feel for the people we see in this film, then you must not fear war enough. Every cast member is equally as good as the next, reflecting the equal importance of each soldier on Dunkirk beach. Without an ensemble cast such as this, the camaraderie of the film couldn't be conveyed quite as well.

This film packs quite the emotional punch as well, the scenes with young Barry Kheogan, Mark Rylance and his son had me tearing up. And if the ending of this movie doesn't move you in some way then you may just be a cyborg. I've heard the ending described as Nolan's most cynical yet, and rightfully so. I'll go into spoilers here for anyone who (tragically) hasn't seen it yet.
I was watching The Dark Knight a week ago (perhaps the only Nolan movie better than Dunkirk) and I picked up on something Nolan has been playing with his whole career, just as much as TIME. It's TRUTH. I needn't explain how the ending of The Dark Knight twists the truth so I'll dive in with Dunkirk. At the end of the film we hear a rousing speech written by Churchill read by a weary soldier. Churchill tried to inspire people with his speech, but the audience and Tommy know the truth about Dunkirk. How horrifying and downright difficult it was to just escape the fucking Nazis at that point. We see Rylance's son put George ( :cry: ) in the paper as a hero even though he didn't do much.

I'll admit I wasn't huge on the final shot the first time I saw it, but only because I was caught off guard. But it really is genius. The fakeout ending of Tom Hardy's burning plane seems to give closure to a film about a war. But the fadeout to the shot of Tommy realizing how much longer this war will be is perhaps the most potent and ambiguous final shot of Nolan's career. Bra-fucking-vo.
Anyway, if this is too long for you, here's my score: TEN out of Fucking TEN

but if you wanna discuss this film more in depth then please read, I'd like to get into a nice discussion analyzing this fantastic film :gonf: