Dunkirk Nolan Fans Member Reviews (NFometer)

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Watched it for a second time in 70mm..This film didn't really need characters tbh. It's about survival. It felt so freaking real. I think this film will age very well. People who didn't like it or hate it will probably appreciate it more for what it tried to do. It's not meant to be a plot driven film. It's about getting these soliders to safety, survival. I appreciate this flick the more i see it. It truly is a Masterpiece.

A true masterpiece and you can feel the real craftsmanship here which makes it a pure cinema experience.

This was the first time I really felt the presence of film. Cant describe it in words, but I looked at the screen like a child who sees a new toy behind the shop window :lol:

Nolan was totally ready to do a film like this, he mastered every little bit of it, from action sequences to score.

My first viewing: 10/10 - My fifth viewing: 20/10 :D

10/10

Update

Click on each member's name to read their review.£

prince0gotham wrote:Anyone else think the color grading was really inconsistent?
Yes. At first I thought it was intentional. Between the 3 timelines. But then it happened within the same timeline and then it did within the same context. But then again maybe my eyes were melting.

MV, where dafook is your rating btw?

Master Virgo wrote:Update

Click on each member's name to read their review.£
You didn't update prince0gotham and RIFA's scores, though. I'm not sure if they were serious in their 4/10 scores but it would be good not seeing my name rating a Nolan film the lowest :P

Sysmatic wrote:MV, where dafook is your rating btw?
I have to wait.

RIFA and Prince can both go to hell. Only extremely positive ratings will be accepted from now on. :tyrantface: £

Okay... after two days of resting and after gathering my thoughts here's my initial reaction:

Nolan didn't disappoint. The movie grabs your attention from the first minute. There's no time to eat, think or breathe. I really loved the minimal dialogue. You can clearly see the influence of silent movies and it works really well. It also has a 2001: A Space Odyssey feel to it, specifically at the beginning on the beach. It definitely surprised me. It's not the Nolan I'm used to.

I had no problem relating to the characters. If you see someone in a car accident while people trying to get them out, do you have to think about their hopes and what they do for a living or who's waiting for them at home? No, you want them to survive without the need to know anything about them. That's empathy to the fellow man.

I also had no problems with the structure (umm... maybe a little). On a first viewing it seemed very messy though. It definitely requires several viewings to really grasp it in its entirety.

Cinematography is absolutely stunning. To me, it's the best looking Nolan movie. Score is wonderful too.

I was hoping for it be the movie that makes me cry at the theater but it didn't. I can't give it a rating. I can't even rank it among his other movies. I can definitely see how this movie will be divisive for the general public.

prince0gotham wrote:Anyone else think the color grading was really inconsistent?
Nope, but there were two inconsistencies in the appearance of the color itself:

- From non-IMAX to IMAX shots.
- Takes that were overcast versus sunny.

They did all they could with the color grading, otherwise.

i don't think it's the grading itself as much as it is the conditions in which they were shooting

Hoyte basically said they figured out very early on that the lighting on the beach changed constantly, and it would be impossible to control, so they just gave up