Dunkirk Nolan Fans Member Reviews (NFometer)

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
okungnyo wrote:I walked out disappointed, probably because over the past two years, I inevitably conjured up my version of what I expected the movie to be.

But hours later, I am still shaking from the experience, and I can't wait to go back for a second viewing.

This is the third time something like this has happened: I walked out of The Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar confused and disappointed, but now they are my favorite films of Mr. Nolan. :)

Edit: added ", probably because over the past two years, I inevitably conjured up my version of what I expected the movie to be." and "of Mr. Nolan"
By the way, curious... did you think there was a "drop in quality" after the first 15-20 minutes of the film?

m4st4 wrote:
It fucking sucked.

-Vader
are you serious , is that what he said about movie?

Came back from my second viewing in Digital IMAX.

My first screening yesterday was a special one, I was almost trembling from excitement when the WB logo came up - I was about to watch the movie I'd been hugely anticipating for three years. In short: holy shit. The opening sequence, followed by the nerve wrecking scene on the beach completely sucked me in and left me with my mouth open.

The structure worked perfectly for me: the way the different perspectives were edited together in a flow is just brilliantly done. It wasn't like one of the three perspectives in particular was my favourite, everytime it switched the film succeeded in holding my complete attention and excitement.

Damn it guys, don't even know how to put this into words, but some of the Spitfire and Stuka sequences were so impressive I stopped breathing. Zimmer's score perfectly timed every crescendo, going full-out in just the right places. There were more than 10 moments that just made me shiver from excitement and epicness.

I don't even remotely get the criticism that you can't emotionally connect with the characters. They don't say much, okay. But is there anything to say in such a situation? I was perfectly able to connect with the characters, simply because we know as much as them. There's no background required, they're just there, trying to survive.

Needless to say, but the plane sequences are nothing like you've seen before, just simply breath taking.
And it's emotional. The way Nolan and the actors make you care about the characters without even saying anything is spectacular. Gibson had literally said five words (in French), but there's something about the little nuances in the performance and directing. His death was heart-breaking to see. And then we have George, who was just trying to help. He died in such an unfortunate and unnecessary way, it was frustrating.

The sequence that stood out to me the most was by far Farrier flying above the beaches in complete silence. When he opened his window to feel the air - and the music kicked in... it broke me. May be my favourite ending sequence of any Nolan film.
It's probably Nolan's best directed film. The cinematography was spectacular, the score ditto. Everything was, to be honest. I'd like to write down all my thoughts about the characters and acting performances but it's just too much lol.

Dunkirk was like I expected it to be, but in some ways even better, plus some surprises. The second viewing was even better than the first. This film is incredible.

There's so much more to type out but I'm tired and my English is lacking lol.

Virgo, mark me for a 9.8. I guess.

Just got out. Put me down for a 9/10

Location: You'll find me in the region of the summer stars✶*¨*✫
Just walked out so I haven't had time to process it yet but initial reaction.. WOW. 9.5/10
Taking off a half point bc I had difficulty understanding a bit of the dialog but it didn't really take away much.

Forum Pro
Law
Nik82 wrote:Just walked out so I haven't had time to process it yet but initial reaction.. WOW. 9.5/10
Taking off a half point bc I had difficulty understanding a bit of the dialog but it didn't really take away much.
That's also a reason why it got a 9/10 from me. I couldn't understand a majority of the dialogue. Probably because of the volume in the theater though

The dialogue was also my issue.

m4st4 wrote:For me it's probably TDK (28 times):
Fully agree.

TDK is just... ah... from start to finish I cannot get tired of watching that film. It's just such a good crime film.

TDK followed by The Prestige and then Memento and Inception.

Oh yeah, forgot to post a rating. 9/10.

Saw it. Utterly disappointed.
The prologue was better than the movie. And that's a problem. Rex Reed is actually right here. Not only was it incoherent, it was also boring.